Move/Request items by 10 (tens)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

saaadel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Move/Request items by 10 (tens)

Post by saaadel »

TL;DR
New modifier key (possible Alt/Option) to get 10 packs of item.

What ?
Currently we can move one pack of items at a time (SHIFT + click) or all items (CTRL + click) between the inventory and another chest/trunk,
or order one item for hands crafting (click without modifiers) or for all available ingredients (SHIFT + click).

Since people are used to the decimal system, I want to offer an additional modifier keys for moving items by 10 packs and/or for ordering things into hands crafting for 10 items.
It is possible not to introduce a new modifier key, but to use a combination of both keys: CTRL + SHIFT (+ click)

EDIT: we already have a shortcut to add 5 items to the hands crafting queue (right click), so, is it ok, to replace new shortcut with 100 items. Marked with **

Hands crafting:
- CTRL + SHIFT + recipe click — Add 10 (**100) items to the hands crafting queue.

Open an inventory/chest/trunk:
- CTRL + SHIFT + item click — Move 10 packs of the selected item type into another inventory.
Why ?
Since people are accustomed to the decimal number system, it is easier for us to add by 10 items to production and add / subtract the remainder by 1 item after we add the required number in tens.
Additionally: all game chests have 10 columns in each row. The introduction of a modifier key for transferring 10 packs at a time will add convenience to such manual sorting into chests at an early stage of the game (especially when playing with mods that slow down the quick start of the game into the era of automatic production and construction with robots).

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Move/Request items by 10 (tens)

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I feel like this would actually add more to what the player needs to know with zero benefit. When I'm transferring items around, I find what we already have works well and don't see the need to add yet another modifier for transferring a different amount. (We also have half stack transfers, which you didn't mention. Were you aware?)

Tbh, too, if this was introduced, as most other games do their 10/100 quantity changes on the modifiers we currently have for stack transfers, I feel like adding this would just result in the next suggestion being to flip them around for consistency of those coming from other games.

I'm also against the idea of having the quantity involved change based on the context. That's just confusing. Further, I don't see the need for a +100 modifier to handcrafting. You shouldn't typically be handcrafting that much....
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Move/Request items by 10 (tens)

Post by Koub »

I'm not a dev, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been around here for quite some time now, and I think I have a rough idea of how the devs think about this : if a suggestion is aimed towards doing more things manually in bulk, the answer will probably be "no". There is no reason one would need to manually transport or craft tens of stacks here and there. I mean apart from not having automated the thing. So the devs will probably not add ways to more easily "unautomate" things.

Note : I'm aware of the fact that hand crafting is used by speedrunners to optimise, but that shouldn't be the main driver for a new feature.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”