Add a toggle button to display only active mod

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Add a toggle button to display only active mod

Post by mmmPI »

TL DR : suggestion is : adding a toggle button near the "Search" button to only display the currently active mods

What : A button that when toggled on would filter the list of mods to only display the "active mods".

Why : After reading the FFF (https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-391) mentionning the mod portal, and doing a research for similar proposal or related to the the mod manager, (viewtopic.php?p=578600#p578600) i thought i only want a very simple thing that may exist in parrelel to other more smarter way of managing mods that are being worked on.
Because (my) mod folder contain increasingly more mods as time passes, but the number of mod per game doesn't have to and then it becomes annoying to do simple task such as launching a game with only 3 or 4 mod active without checking against a whole list , my instinct tell me "where's the button to display active mod", it doesn't exist, instead when tired it happens i'm clicking that other button that activate all mods at the same time and instant regret it, otherwise it's a little hurdle everytime i want to share a savegame with just the required ones and i think a button with a checkmark and a tooltip saying "show only active mod" would not create clutter and be easy to understand and use for those who think they could need it, I would also welcome many of the other propositions for managing mods, this suggestion is minimalist to avoid scrolling endless list when launching a game that doesn't use all the mods from all those years.
show only active mod.png
show only active mod.png (714.67 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add a toggle button to display only active mod

Post by Qon »

I would prefer the list simply just sorting by enabled status first and name second. Yes they would move around when toggling on/off, but that's less confusing than if it just disappeared from the list with the "only enabled" option. And it would also make it easy to go through disabled mods as well.
The column headers can have sorting arrows like any other decent tabulation software, like tables on wikipedia pages etc.
Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... f_speakers

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add a toggle button to display only active mod

Post by mmmPI »

That should then be what's shown when that button is toggled off after it was toggled on instead of reordering the mods by alphabetical order because there's already a button for that. I think there is value to a button you click to "hide" things as there would be no need for "disabled" mods being visible in my mind, it's only a button you click to know what is active, "after"/"at the end" of the soon-to-be-realeased re-organisation of the in-game mod folder. When you think everything's ready before you click confirm an reload the game.

Yes it would be confusing to "untick" a mod when the button is toggled on, because it would then disappear unless you untoggle that button. Maybe the toggle button is bad UI for what i wish, which is a way to quickly see what mods are actives before reloading and "hide" everything else.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”