Add reqests when pasting recipe in requester chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Epb7304
Inserter
Inserter

Add reqests when pasting recipe in requester chest

Post by Epb7304 »

TL;DR
Instead of replacing the requests in a requester chest, add the requests to the requester chest when pasting a recipe into a requester chest

What ?
Currently, you can copy a recipe from a machine (normally used to paste the recipe into other assembly machines) and paste it (much like how you would to an assembly machine) into a requester chest to set the requests of the chest. This is very useful, however, it is annoying that this feature cannot be used on a multi-purpose requester chest. Instead, when pasting a recipe into a requester chest it should add the requests to the requester chest
Why ?
as eluded to in the what segment, the main reason why this would be good is that it allows for easy request setting in multi-purpose requester chests, as it is far easier to remove requests than add them

Edit:
A modification in the comments makes a fair bit more sense than this suggestion by itself. That being that an alternate button configuration (along the lines of ctrl+shift+click) would add the requests, and normal shift+click would replace them.

I would agree that this is better
Last edited by Epb7304 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Add reqests when pasting recipe in requester chest

Post by SoShootMe »

Epb7304 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 am
the main reason why this would be good is that it allows for easy request setting in multi-purpose requester chests, as it is far easier to remove requests than add them
While this is true and "multi-purpose requester chests" is a valid use case, this suggestion makes one outcome (add to requests) much easier at the cost of making another (replace requests) more fiddly. Unless you think replacing requests is never wanted, it's a trade-off rather than purely beneficial. I think the latter is more commonly wanted, so the trade-off is not simple to resolve. The current paste behaviour of replacing requests is consistent with other cases, so changing it would add an inconsistency.

To me, this combines to favour the current behaviour. But an "alternate paste" action that adds to rather than replaces settings might be useful for this and other cases.

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xenophore »

+1 to making something like Ctrl-Shift-click add instead of replacing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:23 am
Epb7304 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 am
the main reason why this would be good is that it allows for easy request setting in multi-purpose requester chests, as it is far easier to remove requests than add them
While this is true and "multi-purpose requester chests" is a valid use case, this suggestion makes one outcome (add to requests) much easier at the cost of making another (replace requests) more fiddly. Unless you think replacing requests is never wanted, it's a trade-off rather than purely beneficial. I think the latter is more commonly wanted, so the trade-off is not simple to resolve. The current paste behaviour of replacing requests is consistent with other cases, so changing it would add an inconsistency.

To me, this combines to favour the current behaviour. But an "alternate paste" action that adds to rather than replaces settings might be useful for this and other cases.
My thoughts exactly, too.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”