Always show underground max range visualization

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Always show underground max range visualization

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

TL;DR
Showing the max range always helps players aim at it directly instead of scrolling along the range.
(For Factorio v2.0)
What ?
Always show underground max range visualization, while building the underground thing.
Having the underground visualization change color depending on whether it is max range or not still requires the player to search for the max range.
If the max range is always visible then you don't have to scroll along the range to find the max range instead you can just point to the right distance.

Originally suggested here:
https://discord.com/channels/1396775903 ... 8708157490
Why ?
I'm not sure what the intended goal for the color change is.
Sure, changing the color saves the user from scrolling too far, but if that's the goal, why not directly indicate where to scroll/point?
Last edited by bNarFProfCrazy on Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

secelt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Always show underground max range visualization

Post by secelt »

yes, exactly this! i’ll also add that this “maximum range” should be shown while placing the first half of the underneathie, so that you can place it exactly right the first time! right now, i often place the “out” underground belt first, then reverse it, then place the “in” underground belt at the maximum range. with this change, i can easily eyeball it for its “out” side to end up exactly where i want it while at its maximum range.

mcmase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcmase »

So if you have any underground item in hand, it should show the entire length possible? Sounds like it takes the devs intent a step further and much more useful, I hope we get this. I wonder if there was a reason they didn't do this already?

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

+1
And one more suggestion: add hotkey (i.e. Ctrl+Click) to place both sides (input and output) of underground belt/pipe at maximum range at once.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Absolutely support the OP's suggestion!

+💯
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

troastervista
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by troastervista »

Genius idea! Can't help, but love it. So much better and on par with the max underground distance mod.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

troastervista wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:25 am
Genius idea! Can't help, but love it. So much better and on par with the max underground distance mod.
Not on par. MUD mod shows before down underneathie placement.
Qon wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:32 pm
lacika2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:11 pm
This is an absolutely brilliant and the most self-explanatory approach. I wish the devs will implement this as shown above.
Even better suggestions have been made in the thread already...
EvilCooky wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:58 pm
I would even go another step further and display the max range while placing the underground entrance.
A bit like the "Show Max Underground Distance" Mod
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/show-max- ... d-distance

Maybe even add a shortcut to automatically build the exit at max range, too.
This way you don't have to remove the down underneathie over and over to adjust the up underneathie position.
mrvn wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:41 pm
Actually why not turn that "TOO LONG" into:

Maybe this isn't as useful for underground belts but with pipes building a long stretch of underground pipes has better throughput than plain pipes and with this you could build a long pipeline with 2 clicks.
And multiple placement of underneathies by clicking further away would be great. Even more so for pipes which I need blueprints for as it is now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”