Sort mods alphabetically instead of by internal ID in "Controls settings"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

schuffi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Sort mods alphabetically instead of by internal ID in "Controls settings"

Post by schuffi »

Dear Factorio team,

TL;DR: The mods are ordered by internal names, not by the shown names in the "Controls settings" menu.

I posted this to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ouldnt_it/
My understanding and that of others is, that the mods are sorted by the internal names. This is not very useful as I have to go through the entire list every time to find a mod that doesn't have a corresponding internal name.
Somebody found the reason by looking into it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... &context=3

Factorio version is 1.1.91 and everything else is up to date.

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks!
Last edited by Koub on Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to make it more into a suggestion

schuffi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Useless ordering of mods in "Controls settings"

Post by schuffi »

On Reddit, u/TrickyPlastic also writes:
“ By mod ID, not mod Name.

It's even worse though that when you filter (top right), it only filters by the exact row match, not the mod Name (ie: the entire stanza). …”
https://reddit.com/r/factorio/s/LOxU3X8Hop

I agree, this search also doesn’t work by mod name.

schuffi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Sort mods alphabetically instead of by internal ID in "Controls settings"

Post by schuffi »

Could I please get a response? There have been much more minuscule issues fixed and I would love to at least have an acknowledgment of this issue.
Thank you.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Your need is basically be able to find more easily all the settings of a given mod, am I right ? No matter if it's by the means of :
- sorting the mods alphabetically by name,
- the search feature outputting all the settings belonging to a given mod when given (parts of) the mod's name
- Make mod names searchable and clickable (like a link to an internal anchor) within the control settings page, so that one could click on the mod name to navigate to the mod's settings subsection)
- even maybe even collapsible sections for each mod, the way the Controls settings work (with a "Collapse all/Expand all" feature, because that should be mandatory wherever things can be collapsed/expanded).

Maybe a proper suggestion with the template, a couple screenshots of the issue you're facing could help the devs understand what needs to be improved.

BTW your request is the followup of a previous request that was implemented : viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50396. Just in case you'd be interested in a little history.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

saaadel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Expanded search in the mod settings dialog/keys binding dialog (controls settings)

Post by saaadel »

TL;DR
Search through all mods names in the mod settings dialog.

What ?
If you're a player who plays with a bunch of mods, you have a lot of options there.
The current search behaviour is filtering options by name. That's it. Not so handy if you're not looking for a specific option, but all options of a specific mod.

I suggest expanding the search capabilities: filter not only the option names, but also the names of the mods. If player search by a mod name and there are no options with a suitable name, just display the mod name (as if the list with options is empty). At the same time make ALL mod names clickable. If player clicks on the name of a mod, then ALL the list of options for that mod opens (un-filter them), regardless of the filter value.

EDIT: the same scenario is good for controls settings/keys binding. If you have a lot of mods, then current behaviour is not best.
Why ?
Scenario:
We don't need to scroll through the entire list of options to find ALL the options of a specified mod.
Now the player can simply filter the mods by name and then click on the name of the desired mod,
and player will see ALL options of that specified mod.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with a slightly different approach to fix the same issue.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:09 am
Your need is basically be able to find more easily all the settings of a given mod, am I right ? No matter if it's by the means of :
- sorting the mods alphabetically by name,
- the search feature outputting all the settings belonging to a given mod when given (parts of) the mod's name
- Make mod names searchable and clickable (like a link to an internal anchor) within the control settings page, so that one could click on the mod name to navigate to the mod's settings subsection)
- even maybe even collapsible sections for each mod, the way the Controls settings work (with a "Collapse all/Expand all" feature, because that should be mandatory wherever things can be collapsed/expanded).

Maybe a proper suggestion with the template, a couple screenshots of the issue you're facing could help the devs understand what needs to be improved.

BTW your request is the followup of a previous request that was implemented : viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50396. Just in case you'd be interested in a little history.
Yes. 100% correct. Applies for both mod settings and mod section in controls.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”