Marker for allocated virtual signals

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Goose02
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Marker for allocated virtual signals

Post by Goose02 »

TL;DR
What I'm suggesting is a visual marker in the "Select a signal" menu of a combinator, train stop, etc (pictured below) to indicate which virtual signals are already assigned as outputs within the given circuit network (even if that signal is not currently being projected).

What ?
Often when working with large circuit networks, I find it difficult to remember which letters/number/colours I have already assigned as outputs on the same network.
Original combinator menu
Original combinator menu
Original menu img.png (2.8 MiB) Viewed 168 times
Which one do i choose? have I already assigned C to copper plates?? Is Z free???

My idea is to:

A; Have a coloured outline around any signals that have been allocated as an output by other devices in the current network(s) (see pic)
Suggested changes A
Suggested changes A
Suggested menu changes (A) img.png (2.95 MiB) Viewed 168 times

or B; Have a seperate window below the signal menu showing the allocated signals
Suggested menu changes B
Suggested menu changes B
Suggested menu changes (B) img.png (2.81 MiB) Viewed 168 times

Alternately, to reduce complexity and the question of whether the input network(s) or output network (or BOTH) are checked for allocated signals, electric poles could display allocated signals instead (as they already display signals that are currently being broadcast). This could be displayed in a seperate window (as seen in Suggestion B), below the signals currently being broadcast.

Why ?
Workarounds like multiple smaller networks and localised networks have limitations such as shorter range, messy power lines and accidental connection of seperate networks. As such I think my suggestion could be a good QOL change that would make larger ciruit networks easier to use and prevent mistakes.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”