Game Mode support for Apple Silicone

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Game Mode support for Apple Silicone

Post by scarhoof »

I recently upgraded my MacBook M1 to Sonoma 14.0, and when I launch RimWorld it recognizes that it's a game and puts the Mac into Game Mode. Factorio doesn't do that. I've searched around online and I can't find a way to tell the Mac that Factorio is a game so it gives it more focused resources. Is this something that needs to be turned on by the devs, or is it something we need to activate on our Mac?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Game Mode support for Apple Silicone

Post by jodokus31 »

I don't have tested, but this sounds like it could work:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213658
Game Mode turns on automatically when you use these steps to view your game in full screen:

Move your pointer over the green button in the upper-left corner of the game window.
Choose Enter Full Screen from the menu that appears.

When you enter full screen in this way, a Game Mode menu appears in the menu bar. You can use this menu to confirm that Game Mode is turned on for your game.

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

I tried those steps, even fiddled with the Full Screen settings in Factorio but none of them seem to turn it on. When I launch RimWorld I get a notification that Game Mode has been turned on and the menu bar displays a controller icon. I also noticed that RimWorld doesn't act the same as Factorio in Full Screen mode. Factorio, when you move the mouse to the top of the screen, will display the Menu Bar (real pain in the middle of the game when it does that. RimWorld doesn't however, and I think it might be how the games implement Full Screen Mode. Maybe that has something to do with it, as Apple states they have to be in Full Screen mode to activate Game Mode.
Game Mode on RimWorld
Game Mode on RimWorld
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 8.45.26 AM.png (62.74 KiB) Viewed 731 times

wormeyman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wormeyman »

I would love this as well! Here is some more information: https://eclecticlight.co/2023/10/18/how ... u-and-gpu/ . Do you run the game through a standalone launcher or steam? I use the standalone launcher and do not get game mode.

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

I also run standalone Factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”