Lategame Logistics Solution

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lindor
Inserter
Inserter

Lategame Logistics Solution

Post by Lindor »

Hello :)
First of all, i'd be happy for all mods provided, i just couldn't find any non-cheaty mods which solve this yet. Also feel free to interpret this as a mod request, i'd just also like to have it in Vanilla.

What i want is a lategame logistics solution which is scalable, isn't cheaty and feels futuristic.

The issues are:
  • Items:
    • belts feel primitive, are inserter-unfriendly and feel spaghetti
    • Trains aren't scalable
      Yes they provide amazing throughput over long distances at first, but:
      • The bigger the base, the more trains you need
      • You need to program each train schedule and rename each train station manually
      • the more trains, the more jammed the traffic gets, especially around centralised hubs
      • Unlike bots, trains don't choose the loading station automatically. You have a set route for each train. Makes huge bases really messy and unbalanced. I know about LTN and i'm suggesting to add it to Vanilla.
    • Bots aren't scalable
      items/(m*s*bot)=const, but scheduled_bots/request is limited by requested amount, like max(scheduled_bots/request)=(requested_items/bot_max_carry_size), meaning that there's a distance breakpoint for each request after which efficiency drops (hard)
    • There are loops
      Since there are no logistic channels for individual chests in the same network, you can't have a train-loading and a train-unloading station in the same network without creating a loop. Something like an ID for each chest or being able to deactivate the "request from passive provider chest" would help, but it just isn't possible even with mods. Closest i've seen is the mod which adds each logistic chest to a different faction for each channel. That sounds terrifyingly hacky to me and i'd rather have a built-in solution in the API for micromanaging bot scheduling.
    • Splitting networks is bad
      • Area between networks (like rails between main base and mining outposts) don't get repair supplied which is inacceptable for any perfectionist
      • Instead of automatically having access to everything from everywhere, you manually have to design "item-routes" between networks, which feels very un-automatable and therefore un-factorio-like
    • Bots feel modern, but not futuristic.
      Please add content to make the endgame really feel like an endgame.
  • Fluids:
    • Current Solutions are very UPS-inefficient
    • Chained pumps look ridiculous
    • Solutions are very space-inefficient
    • There are no corner pumps.
      Even a single pipe in an otherwisely fully-pump-chained setup quarters the throughput to 3000l/s at max. But pipes are the only way to corner.
    • No high-throughput-solution
      I needed 5 fluid trains of the reactor length to fully satisfy a nuclear reactor setups water-hunger. It's bulky, UPS-inefficient, very un-futuristic and ultimately made me rather revive Luzivras Solar than using nuclear anymore.
    • Don't get me wrong.
      I loved figuring out stuff like a huge storage using only storage tanks, pumps and circuit network logic. Limiting the options leads to creative solutions. But some stuff just isn't currently sloveable.
Infinite scalability is nothing bad or cheaty. Doing it at zero cost like the Item Network mod does is cheaty.
I want a solution for my endgame so that it really feels like i accomplished something and am now able to scale infinitely.
Again, happy for any mods you can show me attempting to solve this.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”