Palletization

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Niizuki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Palletization

Post by Niizuki »

Similar things have been suggested, but I dont think it was in this way.
It doesnt seem like a mod can implement this one.

Implementation would be to include moveable "crates" - pallettes, which could be loaded, unloaded, and regardless of its content (full or not), moved on a vehicle or a (possibly pallet specific) belt.

Following would need to be implemented:
Pallettes (moveable crates themselves). This seems to be necessary, as in the current form, the engine does not support this entity.
Pallette Belts and movers - some logistics to move pallettes, necessary for the idea to make sense. Should be graphically distinct from standard belts, and instead of inserters, there could be for example cranes.
Some misc things - pallette rail cars and , etc.
Conteinerization - the same idea, but larger in scale, where whole top of a rail car could be unloaded on gantry crane, and replaced by new one, without the need to empty the container first.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Palletization

Post by Rseding91 »

Isn't that just a train?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

1WheelDude
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 1WheelDude »

I think what he's looking for is a mod like Freight Forwarding.

Niizuki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niizuki »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:46 pm
Isn't that just a train?
Well, pallets are intermediary element in logistics, and can be used for many things, trains use pallets and containers, but they are also used for moving things around compounds.
As for mods, they often present a need to use an assembler to create a new thing, which is then disassembled in another assembler into multiple origin things. My idea is to have this simply as an object, that can be placed on the ground, used as a crate, but also could be picked up and moved using new type of pallet logistic network to different place. This new network could be somewhere in between conveyors and trains programmability wise and complex wise (not being able to do as much as with trains, but crossroads could be present for example).

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Niizuki wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:48 pm
an object, that can be placed on the ground, used as a crate, but also could be picked up and moved using new type of pallet logistic network to different place.
How do you see the process of picking it up happening when we don't have recursive blueprints?

Unless you're thinking of something like the carbelt, but with an inserter setting that lets the car get loaded onto a train?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Freight Forwarding includes my Shipping Container mod, which are literally cars that can only be moved on belts. They can be manually loaded on trains with the Vehicle Wagon mod. I had plans to automate this with vehicle wagon loading ramps/cranes but haven't had time to work on it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”