Alert Sounds For Turrets Being Engaged By Enemies

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Stopdropanddie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Alert Sounds For Turrets Being Engaged By Enemies

Post by Stopdropanddie »

It would be nice to have an alert sound for when turrets are being engaged by an enemy, since most of the time (unless something explodes) I don't even notice attacks(Even with the visual alert at the bottom of the screen). Of course, this alert sound would have to be different from the building exploding alert sound, and probably sound less severe. This is especially important for handfed turrets at the beginning of the game, since not noticing attacks could eventually lead to the turrets being drained, allowing the pesky environmentalists to destroy your Clean Air Producing Environmentally Friendly Economy Growing Machines™.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Alert Sounds For Turrets Being Engaged By Enemies

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hmm, I envision that being annoying later as you have multiple turrets all over the place constantly being engaged. :lol:
There'd at least have to be an option to disable it, assuming that there wasn't a better way.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

There used to be alert sounds for that I think, and it was this awful sound that hurt your ears. I still hear it in my nightmares somtimes.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

This did indeed use to exist. It was removed, I surmise, because it would really get annoying with a big base, and it's strictly speaking not so important. You'll react latest when the buildings actually get destroyed, and your base should be built such that a single destruction event isn't catastrophic. In vanilla, biters don't react to turret counts and such, which makes it less of an issue than with some mods. I guess they also wanted to push you towards actually automating things, not that you wouldn't automate repairs or ammo refilling if you could... so I'm not entirely sure where the motivation came from other than the fact that it gets very annoying if it's a forced-on feature in big bases.

I actually agreed with it getting removed, as someone who thought it used to be very useful, but I think it's a feature that could have stayed as an optional setting. Alas, they just hard removed it entirely.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Let me drop this here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9394
Very related, a request for a rework of the notification system, with a dedicated interface to fine tune whatever notifications might exist.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”