Add advanced color scheme from the power pole overlay to Roboports

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rodonies
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add advanced color scheme from the power pole overlay to Roboports

Post by Rodonies »

You know that feature where the power pole coverage overlay has different color schemes depending on the situation?

There's 3 different colors here (ignore the 49 number): https://i.imgur.com/i4C4BKc.png

1. Current coverage for the power pole if you were to build it in that spot
2. Overlap of the power pole you are holding in your hands with existing coverage of already built power poles
3. Existing power pole coverage

Roboports don't have this advanced color scheme, which brings with it a few annoyances.

For example: it's impossible to see what your roboports would cover if you were to blueprint an area if there are existing roboports nearby, here's a quick mockup: https://i.imgur.com/YUImxn2.jpg

I can't see if the roboport I am holding would cover the entire build and whether or not I can place this build next to eachother without having to add roboports in different places.

Couldn't find this suggestion anywhere, don't know how hard it is to change this overlay behaviour, thank you for reading.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Add advanced color scheme from the power pole overlay to Roboports

Post by ssilk »

I think — and that’s what this suggestion is imho missing — that you cannnot compare roboports with power poles so easy. Because roboport have two ranges: logistic- and robotic-network.

The inner one is orange, the outer green. Doing it as power poles this results in … hm … 9 additional colors? I don’t know, but my calculations are simple: 3 for logistic coverage, 3 for robotic coverage and 3 for both - because you can mod roboports, that have only one type of network coverage. I’m not sure how that will be looking.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rodonies
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Add advanced color scheme from the power pole overlay to Roboports

Post by Rodonies »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:42 am
I think — and that’s what this suggestion is imho missing — that you cannnot compare roboports with power poles so easy. Because roboport have two ranges: logistic- and robotic-network.

The inner one is orange, the outer green. Doing it as power poles this results in … hm … 9 additional colors? I don’t know, but my calculations are simple: 3 for logistic coverage, 3 for robotic coverage and 3 for both - because you can mod roboports, that have only one type of network coverage. I’m not sure how that will be looking.
IMO you can keep the construction part the same (no green overlay at all) since it doesn't connect the roboports, you only need 2 extra colors for the logistics part alone.

Even if you didn't ignore the construction part, you don't need to make separate colors for any construction/logistics overlap since the 2 systems don't interact so it would be 4 extra colors at best.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”