Output number of alternative viable train stops with same name to the circuit network

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Output number of alternative viable train stops with same name to the circuit network

Post by mrtux »

TL;DR
I would like to have an additional circuit network output from the train stops showing me the number of other viable train stops with the same name.

What ?
Train stops can already put various information on the circuit network. In addition to these I would like to know how many train stops of the same name are active and can be approached by trains (i.e. are not full in the sense of train limits).

This would work similarly to the number or trains approaching the train stop, just with different information.

It is important that this information is about the other train stops and changing state of the current stop does not change this information.
Why ?
To implement train stop priorities:
  • Train stop with the highest priority is always on, but can deactivate, e.g. when resources are depleted.
  • Train stop with next priority can detect that change and activate itself.
  • (The state is stable, because the information does not include the train stop itself.)

To implement depots:
  • Add a depot train stop with the same name as the outpost stop.
  • Activate the depot train stop only when there are no other train stops.
  • Trains will go out as long as there are viable stops, otherwise go to the depot.
Reading the many threads about adding priorities to train stops etc. I believe that this very simple addition would make a lot of the suggested changes possible with a very simple feature, as the information is available and we already have the "API" to get information from train stops to the circuit network.

Update: The information is already in the base (as suggested below) and could be transported via a very large circuit network. My rationale was that information that is already shared in the train network could be made available locally.
Last edited by mrtux on Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If only my thesis could be done in Factorio …

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Output number of other viable train stops with same name to the circuit network

Post by mrvn »

You can already do this yourself. You know the limit of each stop and the stop outputs the number of trains targeting the station. So all it takes is subtracting one from the other and having circuit wires between all train stops or using one of the wireless circuit network mods to share the overall value. Removing the local contribution to the global sum at each stop is trivial too.

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Output number of other viable train stops with same name to the circuit network

Post by mrtux »

I know these options. This would require that I have a huge circuit network span the whole base to communicate something that is already known to the train network (effectively duplicating the information in the train network). My rationale was that this information is already shared to the train stops (alongside other information) and I can grab it from there.
If only my thesis could be done in Factorio …

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Output number of alternative viable train stops with same name to the circuit network

Post by ssilk »

Sharing this information over all the base could be simple, if we had wireless radio network connection.

See
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12652 Connection of circuit network over distances.

And there are some mods

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/shortwave_fix
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Wireless_Circuit_Network
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RadioNetwork
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”