Placing pipes next to each other

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

HarryNews
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Placing pipes next to each other

Post by HarryNews »

TL;DR: There should be a way of deciding what a pipe connects to rather than it connecting to all adjacent pipes.

It is (in my experience) impossible to make a compact Oil system. The reason for this is that you cant put two pipes next to each other without them connecting, meaning pipes need to have an entire square of space between each other.

There needs to be a better way to connect pipes. Maybe instead of there being a pipe, there is a straight pipe, a curved pipe, a three way pipe, and a four way pipe. That's the best way I can think of.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Placing pipes next to each other

Post by Koub »

The use of underground pipes really helps compacting that oil system design. I personnally kind of like the way pipes connect to each other.
If you want, here's a quite compact layout for your oil processing :
http://imgur.com/a/ERVhg?gallery#9BucJzY
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

damn dude, that's a lot of oil refineries.

but yeah, that's pretty much the way you have to plump the inputs/outputs of theoil refineries. I typically do add an extra tile between the pipes of gas/light oil/heavy oil, but thats because of what I do on the end of the line.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Sometimes HarryNews is right... Sometimes a method of controlling wethether if a pipe should connect to an adjacent tile or not would be appreciated. But most of the time conflicts may be resolved through extensive use of Underground Pipes, which avoid the conflicts at the cost of additional resources since Underground Pipes are pretty resource intensive, even more so if one uses them to bridge 1-3 tile gaps instead of the maximum possible gap. :P

But I like to think that there could be a way of using a Keyboard Shortcut to change between the default "connect-to-everything"-behavior and a more guided way of laying pipes. Like for example pressing <SHIFT> while dragging a pipe will draw a pipeline that ignores any adjacent/parallel pipes until you release <SHIFT>. Corners would also be possible by starting to drag the pipe from existing stubs.

If above is too coding intensive the "connect-to-everything"-behavior could be generally removed and one has to drag with the pipe over 2 tiles to connect them manually. I wouldn't mind about that because that's actually the way I am laying pipes most of the time anyways... By dragging them. That way it would pretty much work like the road-tool from Sim City 4 or any other building game of the sort. There they only connect if you drag a crossing manually, otherwise you have two deadends facing each other.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Where's the fun in that? Factorio is already pretty easy even now, what's left after even more simplifications like 90° inserters, nonconnecting pipes, etc.? :(

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

HarryNews wrote:There needs to be a better way to connect pipes. Maybe instead of there being a pipe, there is a straight pipe, a curved pipe, a three way pipe, and a four way pipe. That's the best way I can think of.
I disagree very strongly. I find it super convenient that there is only one kind of above-ground Pipe and that it automatically connects all all orthogonally adjacent above-ground Pipes. If I had to constantly shift between Straight Pipe and Curved Pipe plus have to use the R key to rotate them, then laying above-ground Pipes would become very cumbersome.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

dee- wrote:Where's the fun in that? Factorio is already pretty easy even now, what's left after even more simplifications like 90° inserters, nonconnecting pipes, etc.? :(
Fun in fiddling around with underground pipes? There's like a ton of things I can think of that are fun... but pipe mess is actually not one of them. :lol:

While I'm pretty much an expert on most layouts out there as well as getting my own to work... There are still some situations where I think "Damn you autoconnect!" because it prevents me from doing some eyecandy - and an appealing factory is quite important to me as well as a functional one. This happens most when running parallel pipes and 2 T-connections at the same height as well as other similar stuff that would render a layout much better to look at. :P

No offence but it sounds like you would like to reduce the game to the bare minimum just for the sake of difficult layouts as if the game doesn't offer enough puzzling with dozens of different recipes already. Well let me tell you this... Autoconnecting pipes are no real challenge because most people either find their way around them on their own and from thereon use the same layout in every map they create over and over with little to no changes because the autoconnect prevents them from experimenting around a lot anyways and if not they go on the internet to look up some layouts they can copy. So how much challenge is there? It's a onetrick pony and the challenge is gone after you find a working layout that you can copy&paste from map to map.

For example belts also don't autoconnect to tiles next to them. Imagine how it would suck if that would be a thing. And how much more possibilities it offers due to the fact that they don't autoconnect. And that's how I also think about pipes. I think about the possibilities.
Peter34 wrote:
HarryNews wrote:There needs to be a better way to connect pipes. Maybe instead of there being a pipe, there is a straight pipe, a curved pipe, a three way pipe, and a four way pipe. That's the best way I can think of.
I disagree very strongly. I find it super convenient that there is only one kind of above-ground Pipe and that it automatically connects all all orthogonally adjacent above-ground Pipes. If I had to constantly shift between Straight Pipe and Curved Pipe plus have to use the R key to rotate them, then laying above-ground Pipes would become very cumbersome.
While I agree on the fact that there shouldn't be several different pieces of pipes one has to place, one dedicated for each situation one could encounter... I'd still encourage the developers to overthrow the autoconnect in favor of "connect-on-drag" feature that connects pipes as long as you are dragging your mouse over them while holding a pipe in your hand. So you either can drag long pieces of straight parallel pipes or create corners and intersections just by dragging over the appropriate involved pipes.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

That's some very good suggestion MeduSalem.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's on the way. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =68&t=2388
And as I know Kovarex, this simple thing is in the end a complete rewrite of autoplacement/connect; not only for pipes, but also poles etc.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

MeduSalem wrote:Fun in fiddling around with underground pipes? There's like a ton of things I can think of that are fun... but pipe mess is actually not one of them. :lol:

No offence but it sounds like you would like to reduce the game to the bare minimum just for the sake of difficult layouts as if the game doesn't offer enough puzzling with dozens of different recipes already.
Fair enough :D
And I do understand your reasoning.
Probably have to give it a try. There are mods for nonconnecting pipes available.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

dee- wrote:Fair enough :D
And I do understand your reasoning.
Probably have to give it a try. There are mods for nonconnecting pipes available.
Well maybe I was a bit harsh... I'm sorry about that. ;)

There are mods yes, but most of them introduce additional items as a workaround... which renders it quite painful. The "connect-on-drag" would solve that problem as we could continue to use the one pipe we have and just drag over the involved pipes to make them connect from tile to tile. Would be the simplest way without introducing new items or making anything overly complex.
ssilk wrote:That's on the way. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =68&t=2388
And as I know Kovarex, this simple thing is in the end a complete rewrite of autoplacement/connect; not only for pipes, but also poles etc.
Hopefully also for normal pipes and not only for underground pipes. Because if the autoconnect for pipes would stay with such a "connect-on-drag"-feature it woulh be a shame. :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm not sure, but I think they see that - as with the belts - as a puzzle and part of the game?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have vague memory of reading that pipes were planned to be reworked to work like belts in terms of rotation. No idea where I seen that tho.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”