Increase longevity

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

doninwales
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Increase longevity

Post by doninwales »

TL;DR
Introduce some new 'VERY LATE GAME' targets to give reason to keep playing

What ?
We need new 'late-game' targets beyond rockets/white science, leveling up technologies.
Possibilities may include:
* Super-mine : For mining large areas
* Teleport : Enabling you to move quickly from one area to another area of a map, opening up further map areas
* Space Station : Maybe allowing you to make a round-trip - either just to view the whole world from high up, or to perform special experiments that open up newer technologies
* Airports/cargoplanes : Enabling you to collect very remote mined ores to bring back to main factory location

These late-game targets are necessarily made VERY expensive. Perhaps one or two EXTREMELY expensive, seemingly out of reach. It still gives an ultimate target to aim for - to keep mining ores, researching, expanding etc.... with a target still to work towards rather than just meaninglessly mining.

Why ?
It currently takes a newbie some time to learn the basics and progress through the early and middle game - they ultimately get to the late game, building rockets to get white science. Further objectives are then limited to increasing levels of limited technologies (albeit it gets more expensive for each level progressed).
'I' have played well over 2,000 hours of Factorio, have gone through numerous levels and is now just a matter of mining more and more resources.....gets boring.
I have little reason to keep playing, although I really enjoy expanding, re-building etc...
By having NEW late-game targets, it gives even Factorio experts new reasons to keep playing.

WHY do you think it increases the value of Factorio as a game?
The game NEVER ends!
There is always 'another' almost out of reach target to aim for. But...importantly.....there IS still a target, rather than aimless mining in the later stages of the game.
Plus....you could always add additional 'even MORE expensive' targets in future updates, to continually extend the life of the game, even for the most expert of experts.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Increase longevity

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I think the idea behind this is what the expansion they are working on may be targeting….
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are several discussions around this subject in the forum and on Reddit. There are so many suggestions how to make the game more interesting, that I cannot count them.

Some examples just by searching for “boring”:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90121 I want to play factorio but I lack a goal
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84237 Meaningful Content Update
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83598 To play or not?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80413 Whats the point?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69811 When do YOU give up and start fresh?

search.php?keywords=Alt-f4&terms=all&au ... mit=Search List of Alt-F4 posts, many recommendations around mods and how to make the game more interesting

Again, there is much, much more, I left out Reddit and YouTube.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

There are plenty of ways to make the game more interesting, with a little imagination.

1. Try diagonal factories
2. Try 4-way symmetrical factories
3. Try putting everything on a mega sushi belt
4. Try no belts, only direct insertion and trains
5. Try deathworld no walls
6. Try only coal fuel only steam engine power
7. Try only poison capules energy shields and no offensive turrets

etc..

Still, can't wait to see what the expansion will bring.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”