Engine licensing for a full 3D factory game?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Engine licensing for a full 3D factory game?

Post by Plawerth »

Would it be possible for some enterprising developer group to license Wube's synchronized lockstep code simulator, multithreaded belt optimizer, LUA modding engine, etc to build a full-3D OpenGL/Direct3D factory game?

It seems the developers of Satisfactory are rather grumpy that people keep asking them to implement Factorio-like features like structure damage, enemies attacking structures, pollution affecting the world, blueprints, logistics robots, military weapons and armor, deformable custom world generation, etc. They put out a video saying we're not doing these various things, so stop asking.

I want my full-3D version of Factorio. If Coffee Stain Studios is not up to the task, maybe someone else can do it if they have access to the high quality game engine in Factorio that is needed to make it happen.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Engine licensing for a full 3D factory game?

Post by Zaflis »

There are too big downsides to the way Factorio is written in regards to multiplayer sync and limitations in potential scale of the factory. I wouldn't wish to see Factorio 3D done like that. Take the starting point that you want it to handle 100 planets and you'll very quickly realize this engine isn't capable of it at all.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”