Split large saves into multiple files for Steam Cloud

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Split large saves into multiple files for Steam Cloud

Post by Cakoluchiam »

TL;DR
Split large savegames into multiple files so they can be backed up to Steam Cloud.
Detail
Steam Cloud appears to limit cloud-saveable files to 400MB*. If a game has a save file greater than 400MB, then when syncing, the game will be marked as "Steam Cloud Error" and the "CLOUD STATUS" will read as "Unable to sync". When I get the game under 400MB, it syncs again, but obviously, it won't stay that small; The Factory must grow.

I think splitting saves into multiple files (i.e. a split zip file) would be the "easiest" fix. Having a user setting for the maximum size might be nice, but I don't think it's necessary if you know the Steam Cloud limit. Being able to toggle on/off would be good, since there are cases where a single file is ideal, like sending it to someone else, or manual backups.

Searching the forum I found this suggestion, which was implemented, so this is the natural next step, yes?

*400MB was the number where my game stopped syncing, but if I'm reading the documentation correctly, it should work best if you keep it under 256MB or 100MB chunks.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”