Mod Dependencies and Containers

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

firewatcher
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mod Dependencies and Containers

Post by firewatcher »

I find managing mods to be a bit of a pain, but I think they could be vastly improved with a fairly small change.

When I deactivate or uninstall a mod with dependencies I typically want this to propagate to the dependencies as well (assuming that it doesn't conflict with another mod). This would allow me to switch between mods with complex dependencies with less manual clicking and likelihood for error.

I also frequently want to have this behavior with custom sets of dependencies. I find that regardless of which mod-pack I am playing on, there is a set of QoL mods that I always want, but I find it tedious to look them up and make sure they are active. Also, when I want to sandbox, there are mods I want to activate temporarily and then remove, but doing this is also error-prone. To this end, I want the ability to make custom 'containers' which act like 'empty' mods and have their dependencies.

To this end, I think a good implementation would be to make every mod a container, but make it possible for mod containers to not contain a mod, only the dependencies. Also, the ability to toggle the optional dependencies from within a container so that it manages those dependencies as any other would be nice.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod Dependencies and Containers

Post by Illiander42 »

"Disable and dependencies" would be nice. Especially for the library mods that just provide tools to other mods.

"Mod containers" are already really easy to do, but you have to be willing to open up the modding tools (ie. notepad and your file browser). Just make a minimal mod with no code or assets, just dependencies.

PennyJim
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Mod Dependencies and Containers

Post by PennyJim »

+1 on "Disable and dependencies"

The idea of grouping mods would be nice in-game, but I think is simple enough to do on your own that I'm not really longing for it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”