AFK exit game warning

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

AFK exit game warning

Post by Shadow_Man »

TL;DR
Show warning message window when one minute remains.
What ?
When one minute remains before disconnection due to AFK, show a window with a timer until disconnection (plus ticking sound) with two buttons “Stay” and “Exit to main menu”. If the player has not selected anything, the game exits to the main menu when the timer expires.
Why ?
Sometimes players can't actively play Factorio, but want to be online so they don't have to reconnect to the game every time after AFK. The game doesn't have any timer or warning, so sometimes it throws you out of the game suddenly, so such a warning window would be useful.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: AFK exit game warning

Post by Illiander42 »

If you're AFKing but will see this warning then you're doing something wrong.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ask the server host to disable afk-auto-kick. If they don't want to, then they have it there for a reason.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Illiander42 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:13 pm
When things are cooking, i can't stop watching the factory sometimes it's like split attention, i'm too far away to play, but i could intervene in case of emergency, it has happened to me to get disconnect, the warning should be an alarm :D

I don't know if it's fair to use a third party program that makes you click some button from time to time but in case it exist sorry for the afk-auto-kick reasons...

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:17 pm
Illiander42 wrote:
When things are cooking, i can't stop watching the factory sometimes it's like split attention, i'm too far away to play, but i could intervene in case of emergency, it has happened to me to get disconnect, the warning should be an alarm :D
What factorio emergency could be severe enough to stop you cooking?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

The most i can think of is i start building a little something on a server, then few hours laters i get hungry, start a little something to cook but still feel like if someone join the game and ask what the mess, i need be around until it function properly.

It has happened several time that i forgot the food in the microwave due to going back to play the game :D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:36 pm
It has happened several time that i forgot the food in the microwave due to going back to play the game :D
Heh, well, that's better than forgetting the boiling pot of water on the stove top until all of the water has boiled out, blackened the pot, melted the handle, and set off the smoke detector.

*looks around innocently* :lol:

And this was all before Factorio was probably even a twinkle in our devs' eyes. :P

I don't even remember what I was playing then anymore. 🤔 Probably Total Annihilation or Earth 2150 or some such. :D

Edit: Sorry, and to add, at least a popup of some sort would be good. I don't do MP, but I can understand. In all honestly, sometimes when I get something built, I'll sit there and let it run for a half hour or more before snapping myself out of the mesmerizing effect it has on me and start working on the next thing. A popup could be good to do the same for such people without actually logging them out. :)
Last edited by FuryoftheStars on Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

Illiander42 wrote:
Not only window, but with ticking sound, so you'll hear it even if you can't see the screen.

And of course, this AFK warning window could be turned off in the settings.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:56 pm
mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:36 pm
Heh, well, that's better than forgetting the boiling pot of water on the stove top until all of the water has boiled out, blackened the pot, melted the handle, and set off the smoke detector.

*looks around innocently* :lol:
You too, huh?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I think another solution would be a mod to control the micro-wave and oven from inside Factorio to reduce the need for AFKing. I can see it's not just me now :D

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:39 am
I think another solution would be a mod to control the micro-wave and oven from inside Factorio
Just rotate the inserter fueling your oven! :mrgreen:
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”