Reverse or delete entire belt

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xenophore
Inserter
Inserter

Reverse or delete entire belt

Post by Xenophore »

TL;DR
I believe it would improve the user experience of the game if there were controls/actions on entire transport lines of belts: specifically, one to reverse them and one to mark them for deletion.

What ?
The recent FFF on a whole-belt reader https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-405 offers the possibility of more whole-belt operations:
  • There is no easy way to reverse the direction of an entire transport line. This propoal is for a control/key to reverse a belt segment (just as R rotates a segment) and an alt- or shift-key that performs the operation on a transport line (from end to end, or at least from splitter to sideloader)
  • There could also be a control to extend the deconstruction of a belt to the whole transport line.
(Credit where due, the deletion has already been suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=112874&p=607886&hi ... lt#p607886. Apologies if I missed the reversal anywhere.)
Why ?
Reversal of a belt currently requires either rotating each segment or deconstructing and rebuilding (cut, reverse, paste) the belt, which is a slow and manual process, and prone to error in tight spaghetti. Deconstructing a belt in tight confines is also difficult and prone to collateral damage.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Reverse or delete entire belt

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I know you're asking for vanilla, but here's a mod that does the reversing that you could use in the interim, and if it sees enough popularity could encourage the devs to add it:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/belt-reverserup
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

The ability to reverse, delete, and upgrade whole sections of belt in Dyson Sphere Program is *really* convenient, and I'd love if Factorio had a similar capability.

A reasonable limitation would be to follow the belt forward and back, and stop when it hits a point of side loading or a splitter.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Nemoricus wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 2:30 am
A reasonable limitation would be to follow the belt forward and back, and stop when it hits a point of side loading or a splitter.
The easy option (assuming that their code is anything like I think it is) would be to match the "wire whole belt" length.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”