[SA] Turret modes and defensive designs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

icypanda.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[SA] Turret modes and defensive designs

Post by icypanda. »

You what Factorio should have based on the expansion? Turret settings. Basically what i mean by this is that as asteroids are flying towards your ship, you don't want to waste bullets on ones that are clearly going beside your factory and not going to hit, do you? No, you don't! This would be implemented as a configuration button or maybe something you have to research. If it is researched, then it should probably only be able to be done mid-game or late early-game (once you get to space gameplay though). Basically it would allow you to switch between two turret settings.

1. Circlular defense: the normal and default setting, the one we currently have for turrets.

2. Line defense zone: a setting that makes the turrets range like an extended rectangle. A bit longer then the furthest points of the circle, but only one or two blocks (one block width being the width of one platform thing you can construct in space) in width.

This would be very good for the new space expansion, as it adds useful turret configurations to prevent you from too much of bullet/ammo waste while exploring and it give you a fun alternitive to turret defense where you can protect more linear areas and not just circles. Once you unlock this in space, maybe you will be able to use it on land as well.

Thank you for your time and i hope you consider this!

Uhh sorry i didnt use suggestion template, didnt know one existed

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Idea for factorio space expansion: Turret modes and defensive designs

Post by computeraddict »

Configureable firing arc and reaction speed research are things that I definitely found myself wanting in Space Exploration mod. We've yet to see what the new weapons are that they've been hinting at, though, so we'll have to hang on and see if this winds up being addressed.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Idea for factorio space expansion: Turret modes and defensive designs

Post by Stringweasel »

It's likely that Space Age's turret will be similar to Space Exploration where only astroids that will hit your ship (or get close) will be targetted.

Turret zones would be useful though to not let all turrets fire at the same astroid, and ignore others. But the effect of this will be small I think, because if they share a common target then said target will be destroyed quicker. Maybe at very high speeds it might be a problem, when you get limited by the turret rotating speed.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
My Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby
Official Contributor to Space Exploration

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”