Show Completed Research in Queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Show Completed Research in Queue

Post by Cakoluchiam »

Suggestion: When using the Research Queue, completed technologies should remain in the queue UI, colored green as other researched technologies, until the player chooses to hide them, or up to some maximum at least as many as the maximum capacity of the queue itself.

Detail/User Story:
- I add three techs, say, Red, Purple, and Yellow Science, to the queue
- Red Science completes.
- The "technology unlocked" notification/alert appears in the corner of the screen, as current behavior
- I open the tech/research panel
- I see, at the top, where the queue is, either:
- A: The same queue as I left it, but now Purple Science is focused; Red science remains at the same position as while it was researching, but highlighted green as completed.
- B: Purple Science has moved the front of the queue as usual, but Red Science appears alone in a different list below the queue.
- I close the panel
- Purple Science completes, notification/alert appears, I open the panel
- Now Yellow Science is highlighted or at the front of the queue, and both Red and Purple Science are colored green and in the location chosen above.
- I click the Purple Science tile and it vanishes from the list, but remains in the box with all other technologies, as per usual.
- Red Science remains in the same position in its list.
- A: If They are in the same list as (A) above, now Yellow Science and the focus indicator shift left to fill the space.
- Gameplay continues, I complete more science in the queue but do not click their completed buttons
- When the maximum amount of science that can be added to the list is exceeded, Yellow Science disappears from the list, so the list contains only the most recent technologies.

Rationale: In a post way back when, one of the rationales for removing the research queue entirely was that it caused players to effectively lose track of what technologies they had researched. Eventually the decision was partly reversed, but the notifications were added. However, I usually only glance at the notifications briefly so I still do lose track, and if the full queue completes, I may not even remember what path I had been going down (especially problematic when using mods with lots of tech).

morsk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Show Completed Research in Queue

Post by morsk »

kovarex has said he changed "technology unlocked" to name the technology:
kovarex wrote:
someone on reddit wrote:I would like to have the option to show a message in chat when a research is completed, like in the "Improved Resarch Queue" mod by sonaxaton. With the queue like it is now it is easy to miss what research was completed.
We somehow forgot to include it in the FFF, even when I implemented it yesterday just to make the topic a whole. (Implemented sounds little bit too much for the 6 lines of changes, including the localisation and changelog entry)
It isn't quite as helpful as your UI change but it might still solve the problem.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

That's such an elegant little change :)

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cakoluchiam »

morsk wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:01 pm
kovarex has said he changed "technology unlocked" to name the technology:
kovarex wrote:
someone on reddit wrote:I would like to have the option to show a message in chat when a research is completed, like in the "Improved Resarch Queue" mod by sonaxaton. With the queue like it is now it is easy to miss what research was completed.
We somehow forgot to include it in the FFF, even when I implemented it yesterday just to make the topic a whole. (Implemented sounds little bit too much for the 6 lines of changes, including the localisation and changelog entry)
It isn't quite as helpful as your UI change but it might still solve the problem.
That does in fact solve my problem. What an excellent coincidence : )

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”