Rich search on Train Overview GUI

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

targrub
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rich search on Train Overview GUI

Post by targrub »

TL;DR
Rich editing of the search/filter name on the Train Overview GUI to include access to the Select Icon GUI to allow searching for train stops with icons in their names
What ?
Users are able to create train stop names with icons in them, like Iron Plate, using the Select Icon GUI, activated through the icon button on the right side of the train stop name field. But then, the search field on the Train Overview GUI doesn't have the icon button, so one can't search for train stops containing the Iron Plate icon.

If the search text field allowed such editing, one could then filter to display all train stops with, for example, the Iron Plate icon in their name, or all trains that contain such a train stop in their schedule.
Why ?
This would allow the search and selection of train stops that use icons in their names (and trains that use such stops).

EDIT: Also add to the Locomotive GUI "+ Add station" search field!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rich search on Train Overview GUI

Post by mrvn »

+1

Obvious and brilliant. Yes please. The time I spend scrolling through lists of station names with icons ...

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

targrub wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 pm
This would allow the search and selection of train stops that use icons in their names (and trains that use such stops).
Keep in mind that current search works perfectly fine with icon names - setting a station name to the iron plate icon and searching for 'iron' brings it up. Seems search treats the icon as the text used to create it, eg '[item=iron-plate]'. Copy/paste also works currently works to input the icon into the search field.

This would still make it more convenient for people who use icons to find things.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Silari wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm
targrub wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 pm
Keep in mind that current search works perfectly fine with icon names - setting a station name to the iron plate icon and searching for 'iron' brings it up. Seems search treats the icon as the text used to create it, eg '[item=iron-plate]'. Copy/paste also works currently works to input the icon into the search field.

This would still make it more convenient for people who use icons to find things.
That works in vanilla if you are using english. If I enter "eisen" then it isn't going to find iron-plate. And with mods remembering the internal name of items even in english becomes difficult. Things often are named something else internally.

As for cut&paste: How would I do that? I search for a train stop named iron-plate icon, open it, select change name, copy the iron-plate icon and then use that to search for a train stop named iron-plate icon? See the problem?

I recommend the Rich_Text_Helper mod. Great for creating strings with images and icons in it. Lets you name a train stop by recipe too. Or virtual signals or entities. Not just items.

Note: Train stops can be

Code: Select all

[item=iron-plate]
, which when used in messages produces the icon for iron-plate plus text

[iron-plate]
. They can also use

[img=item/iron-plate]
, which only produces the icon when used in messages. Would be great if selecting iron-plates in the search would find either. But that goes beyond just adding the item/fluid selector to the search input field.

Note2: I can just pick any train stop, click rename, select iron-plate, copy it and then abort so the original name remains. Still hugely inconvenient way to select iron-plate.
PS: fixed formating that cut of the end of the message.
Last edited by mrvn on Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's a logical fact, that if you can have names with some special characters in it, that you can also search for them. Otherwise I would nowadays not be able to search for umlauts or Chinese chars.

So if I can have icons in names I need to be able to search for them.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”