0.17 problem: items not appear on toolbar after pickup

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

0.17 problem: items not appear on toolbar after pickup

Post by Dixi »

In 0.16 and less, when one create or pickup an item, it appear on a toolbar, if there is a free place.

Usually we very often use items soon after pickup/create, so it was comfortable and reasonable to see them on toolbar. In that case we were opening inventory not so often.

In 0.17 toolbar stays clear, until we manually place a link for something. That's very disappointing.

I think, item link should still appear on a toolbar when an item is created or taken, if there is any free position.
Because very often in the game (almost always before we start to use construction bots) we create something, or take something, and use it soon after that.
If that new item is not automatically attached to a toolbar someway, then the game force a user to do extra actions - open inventory, and close it. And that will happen very often. Opening/closing inventory for every building action is very annoying. Since items are different making toolbar links for them will be also boring and pointless.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.17 problem: items not appear on toolbar after pickup

Post by invisus »

Given that
Philip017 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:19 am
well the tool bar is no longer a inventory slot, [...] it is now only a shortcut bar.
Is this kind of what you'd be after?

Grumble:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ee495kse5ck5kl/Mockup.png
Last edited by invisus on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Your "image" is not loading.

Irunfold
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Irunfold »

New items should definitely take free slots in the shortcut bar, unless the related setting gets modified by the user.

Without this feature, the user is forced to do 2 more unnecessary actions compared to 0.16 (find the item in inventory, grab it, and drop it in the shortcut bar).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

This.... Is kinda half the reason the toolbar became shortcuts. So you could put what you want there and not end up with all the random junk you crafted.

But yes, I see where you are coming from. Someone can probably write a mod, but after a few days you probably wont even notice.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

DreamConspiracy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DreamConspiracy »

I strongly disagree with this for the reasons stated by Ranakastrasz and request that (if this does get changed) there's an option to turn it off

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 pm
This.... Is kinda half the reason the toolbar became shortcuts. So you could put what you want there and not end up with all the random junk you crafted.
...after a few days you probably wont even notice.
I think many players want to see on toolbar things they just crated or took from a chest. Not needed things could be shift-clicked (in 0.16) to clear space. That's much faster, then seeking every new item in much bigger inventory.

You think, I won't notice that I have to:
1. open inventory and seek item in question there
2. link it to toolbar
3. remove shortcut from toolbar (undocumented feature BTW, and can't be mapped to a key I want)
And that's for every item! 4+ times more actions. :-(

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Dixi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 pm

I think many players want to see on toolbar things they just crated or took from a chest. Not needed things could be shift-clicked (in 0.16) to clear space. That's much faster, then seeking every new item in much bigger inventory.

You think, I won't notice that I have to:
1. open inventory and seek item in question there
2. link it to toolbar
3. remove shortcut from toolbar (undocumented feature BTW, and can't be mapped to a key I want)
And that's for every item! 4+ times more actions. :-(
Possibly. I suppose I am biased, since I always had the problem the new toolbar was supposed to fix. I have the items I want to be able to place locked, and the rest fills up with junk I don't care about.

Admittedly, it could be more user friendly and have better explanation, but eh. It works for my purposes, and I've already gotten used to it.

Previously, I had to either
A:
1. Ctrl click all the junk items back into the main inventory
2. Ctrl click the items I want to place into the hotbar. And do it again each time I run out of an item.
3. Keep having to look at the toolbar to find the item I wanted.
or B: The way I did after I learned you can lock them.
1. Check Hotbar for item, If there, continue, else open inventory and seek item in question there
2. link Drag it to toolbar.
3. Lock it with middle mouse button. Admittedly I had to look this up, but that was years ago, so I am biased here.
4. When I want a different item there, remove shortcut from toolbar, via Middle mouse button. Again same hotkey, I learned a long time ago, so biased.
5. Repeat above with new item.
or C:
1. middle mouse button on a blank slot and select it from the popup. Which admittedly is too large and needs a search if it doesn't have one.
2. Ctrl click in main inventory blank space to refill all slots. Anything locked is great. Anything else gets filled with junk.

I prefer it this way, but I am biased, because it makes it so much easier for me.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Chucky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chucky »

I believe it would certainly be possible to have the best of both worlds. Meaning that new items are placed in the quickbar but dont overwrite already assigned slots.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Yes, ofc.

We asking only about free slots. I think this game never replaced already occupied places in inventory or toolbar.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Dixi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 pm
...after a few days you probably wont even notice.
Maybe we can have a reasonable compromise if there's a way to quickly add items to the quick bar from inventory ? (as suggested in another thread...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:02 pm
Maybe we can have a reasonable compromise if there's a way to quickly add items to the quick bar from inventory ? (as suggested in another thread...)
I don't understand what middle-click does in the player inventory. Is that a potential candidate? Because right now, middle-click takes something OUT of the quickbar, so having middle click put something IN the quickbar...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Like in the quickbar, it adds a filter.
Why not add the same shortcuts that 0.16 is already using ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Dixi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am
Your "image" is not loading.
Sorry, was worried it wouldn't show correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ee495kse5ck5kl/Mockup.png

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I don't see that "autofill toolbar" in Interface options. Do I have to change something in config manually?

Or it's just a dream about how it should be?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Dixi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:09 pm
Or it's just a dream about how it should be?
Yep it's a mockup :ugeek: a "I think it should look like this".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I was going to write a comment in support of this idea, but about half-way through I realized I actually was disagreeing with it's implementation. Yes, there are a few extra steps early on. Maybe this should be eased with better shortcuts for putting things in your quickbar slots. I think someone mentioned using mouse 3 as a shortcut to 'fill next empty quickbar slot with this'. That makes rearranging and getting items from your inventory to your quickbar a bit easier.

As a general rule, this is a non-issue. And maybe (if it doesn't do so) the NPE should do a better job of making all of the options available for quickbars more emphasized. You've got lots of quick bars & the ability to easily swap between them. Players should be exposed early on to what's necessary to organize their quickbars, so that later on they're used to the customization options and can easily and quickly use them.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I think toolbar blueprints will solve this "problem".
Actually, it isn't a problem. You just need to get used to new toolbar. It is an absolutely different entity now. You don't need to add/remove items often. Just configure handy layout once and use it.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

leadraven wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:09 pm
I think toolbar blueprints will solve this "problem".
Actually, it isn't a problem. You just need to get used to new toolbar. It is an absolutely different entity now. You don't need to add/remove items often. Just configure handy layout once and use it.
Shameless link for the tool/quickbar save config thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65549. Agreed, it is a badly needed feature with how it works now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”