Crafting tree

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Crafting tree

Post by wvlad »

TL;DR
It should show all stuff required for crafting a selected item with all intermediate stages.
What ?

1. I want to see how much of what at which stage I need to produce for a selected item - all in one screen.
2. A player should be able to navigate there from the crafting/inventory (E) - from selecting any item right from crafting menu.
3. It should be possible to open and keep it on screen for a long time.
4. You can also show there how much of those required a player already have.
Why ?
Now to plan assemblers I have to look at each of item and then manually find each of their components in crafting menu multiple times. It's very hard when I can't remember where to look and the search is not usable (it's case sensitive in russian).

It should help new players a lot so they don't get frustrated with UX.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Crafting tree

Post by wvlad »

I needed this feature so much so that I made a mod for this https://mods.factorio.com/mods/wvlad/vl ... fting-tree

It's not as good as I wanted - it's hard to draw such trees in the gui system because I can't just place things at any position I want so had to use flows, etc.

I think this feature still should be a part of the base game - with better integration and drawing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There are people playing Terraria out there :mrgreen:
But yeah, agree with OP
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Vlad, I would like to try out your mod, but there is an error with v0.16. Could you please fix it?
Details of the error are here https://mods.factorio.com/mod/vlads-cra ... 000a65ceb1

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

You can trace things backwards from the thing you want. It also says the "total raw" amount. Calculating supply and demand is arguably an important part of the game. "how much" rather than "what" is tricky to calculate automatically because it totally depends on your productivity. You may have different productivity in different assemblers and they can all work at different speeds changing the average.

If you don't want to do that you can list them up in an excel sheet. There's not that many items that needs mass production, so it's quite a short page.

If you don't want to do that there are some calculators on the internet, and likely some mods too.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

@Hedning1390
Does the mod work for you?

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

I don't use such mods. I have my own spreadsheet.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”