[0.15.x] Barrels not save temperature

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.x] Barrels not save temperature

Post by Usernm »

I pack some steam from nuclear reactor in barrel via fill water assembler recipe, and then unpack it back and get water with 15 C.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.x] Barrels not save temperature

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

Preserving temperature through the barrelling process was never programmed in,
So i will move this to ideas and suggestions

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

This suggestion would require a major change to the game engine, because it would require every single item to have an additional property, in this case to remember the temperature the liquid had when it was created. This would cause a significant decrease in performance and also would make gameplay a lot more complicated. For example such items would no longer be stackable, etc.

Therefore, I am against this suggestion. However, it would be nice suggestion for Factorio 2.0, where everything will be completely redesigned anyway.

However, as a workaround for Factorio 1.0, it would maybe be meaningful to treat steam at 160 degrees and 500 degrees as completely different liquids to water. This would be implementable in the current game engine. But I generally do not like this idea, because, in reality, barrels would lose heat very quickly. I also don't like it that tanks full of steam don't lose temperature over time, but that is a different issue.
Last edited by Tekky on Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Every fluidbox has a temperature property and the results array support fluid temperature as well.
So the missing link is only with the barrels.
One, albeit not extendable, way would be to turn barrels into item_with_temperature similar to how vehicles are item-with-entity-data to preserve equipment.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Personally, I like the fact that barreled steam turns back into water.

IMHO it would only make sense to retain the temperature if there were heated belts in the game. :-)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Optera wrote:Every fluidbox has a temperature property and the results array support fluid temperature as well.
So the missing link is only with the barrels.
One, albeit not extendable, way would be to turn barrels into item_with_temperature similar to how vehicles are item-with-entity-data to preserve equipment.
I would mean it's simpler as we think. Since 0.15 it's possible to store extra information to any item. So on taking out the fluid into the barrel this temp can just be added. On unload that needs just a change in the assemblers, before mixing it into the internal fluid-box.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

If you actually forced 165ºC steam into full compression in a barrel within a split second and the barrel didn't explode, it would become so hot it would threaten to melt the barrel or anything that touched it. This heat would rapidly escape the barrel until all you had was hot water. It would be great for making ramen or tea, but not ideal for use in a cold water factory unless you're just pumping it straight back into the boilers.

Be happy you can even barrel the steam. I think it's rather neat that you can barrel it and you get cold water. It's one of those times when the game teaches you a bit about actual fluid logistics.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”