High Resolution Screenshots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kimba659
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

High Resolution Screenshots

Post by Kimba659 »

Hey guys

One thing which I would like in the game is the ability to take high resolution screenshots. Maybe even higher than the screen resolution (like Nvidea Ansel). Many times I have wanted to share something with a friend or screenshot so that I can easily look back at a design later but once zoomed out it is hard to tell what is what.

Back to Ansel, another feature is being able to manipulate the scene. E.g. be able to zoom out further than normal while taking the screenshot which would be super useful for larger scale factories.

One way to do this would be to pause the game engine and render a selected area part by part at a higher resolution making an image which would be many times larger than the screen resolution. An example of this is in game when you zoom in there is more detail on each object than when zoomed out.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: High Resolution Screenshots

Post by Rseding91 »

You can do exactly that with the Lua API: http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaG ... screenshot
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Kimba659
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kimba659 »

Rseding91 wrote:You can do exactly that with the Lua API: http://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaG ... screenshot
Is there an example on how to use that anywhere? Maybe a video? I am not great with that kinda thing

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You open the console ingame (check your keybindings to know what key you have associated with console)
You type :

Code: Select all

/c game.take_screenshot{player=…, by_player=…, position=…, resolution=…, zoom=…, path=…, show_gui=…, show_entity_info=…, anti_alias=…}
Parameters are explained here :

Code: Select all

player :: string or LuaPlayer or uint (optional)
by_player :: string or LuaPlayer or uint (optional): If defined, the screenshot will only be taken for this player.
position :: Position (optional)
resolution :: Position (optional): Maximum allowed resolution is 16384x16384 (resp. 8196x8196 when anti_alias is true), but maximum recommended resolution is 4096x4096 (resp. 2048x2048).
zoom :: double (optional)
path :: string (optional): Path to save the screenshot in
show_gui :: boolean (optional): Include game GUI in the screenshot?
show_entity_info :: boolean (optional): Include entity info (alt-mode)?
anti_alias :: boolean (optional): Render in double resolution and scale down (including GUI)?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There is a mod that makes this much simpler: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/credomane/Screenshot
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”