Farming

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lucserre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Farming

Post by lucserre »

Ability to create/plow some soil and plant stuff like trees or some other grown material needed for some assembly.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Farming

Post by aubergine18 »

Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

The devs have confirmed that right now the base game is just about as complex as they want it to be, pretty much everything going forward from this point is quality of life and balancing. Some extra circuit features, liquid transport, reworking science, stuff like that.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

I'd still favour this concept - you should also need food to survive the whole time, and reducing pollution should be another goal. Medkits instead of the fish and a less instant health regeneration would be more realistic too.

But I understand that the team doesn't want now to build factorio from the bottom again.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14638 Producing food / Herbalism / Health
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Survival elements just don't work very well in this style of game. The player's survival needs are FIXED. Factory production SCALES. If the survival tech is too complex it becomes a death clock. If it's too simple then it's a plop and forget chore.

Challenge elements need to scale.

lucserre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lucserre »

bobucles wrote:Survival elements just don't work very well in this style of game. The player's survival needs are FIXED. Factory production SCALES. If the survival tech is too complex it becomes a death clock. If it's too simple then it's a plop and forget chore.

Challenge elements need to scale.
I wasn't thinking about it from a survival/food point of view only. A mod has a greenhouse element to it so that you can grow trees. A farm would be better for that, in the sense that it would need to take up TONS of real-estate on the map to get a sufficiently large enough farm.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

It's basically about generating sustainable resources, and then having the recipes to turn those resources in to useful stuff, which could be combined with more traditional stuff to do yet more stuff.

Also, don't overlook the multitude of directions that mods can take the game in. IMO there is lot of potential to create RPG style gameplay via mods (never in core game though, it's focus should be fiddly factory automation).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

bobucles wrote:Survival elements just don't work very well in this style of game.
factorio is very similar to Minecraft with more automation and less sandbox elements.
bobucles wrote:If the survival tech is too complex it becomes a death clock.
That's the point: you are also forced to organise food to survive. If you e.g. don't use your potatoes at the beginning of the game properly, you may run out of food like when you are failing in building turrets fast enough.

Planting trees won't be "just" for the resource wood, but also to fight pollution, which might be additionally affecting yourself.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

There is definitely potential: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/admin/Potato

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I'm considering adding turnips to the game, and making them have special effect when thrown in the general direction of biters.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The character comes home and tells stories, of what has happened with him:
"Some day I mined a whole field with turnips. A herd of biters come, goes through the field. I burned the fuse, throw the burning turnip into the middle of the field and run.
Since then I call this menu Roasted Biters with Turnips."
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”