Weekly Challenges w/leaderboards

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Oct0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Weekly Challenges w/leaderboards

Post by Oct0 »

Basically the idea is that once a week the devs come up with a challenge condition and generate a map for the players to attempt this challenge on. Players are ranked on how quickly or how well they complete the challenge, their name is posted on a leader board, and some stat is tacked to their profile, because people love stat tracking. Challenges could be re used from previous weeks so that other players have a chance to de-throne the previous top ranked players, and could range from simple things like harvest x resource, kill x creatures, or build x things, to more complicated scenarios like a fort defense styled map, or something like transport x resources from this end of the map to the other, if the devs are up to it of course. The maps could be hand edited, or just something that was passed through the map generator a few times until they liked it. Map settings would be edited to make the challenge, well, challenging. Things like a scarcity of a certain resource or particularly abundant or aggressive biters.
The idea is that it's something that I think would require relatively low effort from the devs, but provides the players with a fair amount of content to play through. Thoughts?

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Weekly Challenges w/leaderboards

Post by Mendel »

Did you already play on the team challenge server on latest 0.14 experimental? It covers your suggestion partially.

Oct0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Oct0 »

Mendel wrote:Did you already play on the team challenge server on latest 0.14 experimental? It covers your suggestion partially.
I actually haven't yet, I just came back after not playing a while, and posted this before reinstalling.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm (Maybe not the best examples, but leave it now so):
Nobody would want a city to manage roadsweeper-tournaments. They just need to be clean enough to make one.
Nobody creates the internet to transmit FAX, but it is possible to do it.
I want the devs to develop this Game that it is possible to create leagues. I don't want them to manage tournaments (only for testing purposes).

I think this idea is nice, but is something, which can also be done by nearly any engaged forum-member(s) or anybody else who likes Factorio and tournaments. :)
If someone is interested: I think the right place to discuss this and ask others for help is the Multiplayer- or General-board.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”