[1.0.0] Color Blind Filter not having desired effect

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

j_ayf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0.0] Color Blind Filter not having desired effect

Post by j_ayf »

I wasn't sure if this even counts as a bug or would fit better into the Suggestions board, but since it is already a feature as of 0.18.31, which is just not working as needed, I ultimately decided to post it here.

I suffer from relatively strong Deuteranomaly, which means I have difficulties differentiating between red, green and several other mixed colors. So as you can imagine I was delighted to finally see something in the graphics options for me. Sadly, the filter is actually making it worse than just trying to figure the colors out the original way. I asked some "normal" friends what differences they see and the general consensus among them was "it makes the game darker/duller", almost as if it is trying to imitate color deficiencies, instead of counter acting them.

Original

Deuteranopia Filter

I have seen it in quite a few games now, that a color blind mode just changes the entire color pallet, which is generally the completely wrong way to go about it. It is not everything that needs to change, but certain items just need
a. higher contrast or
b. other things by which to see differences, like a slightly different sprite (e.g. red circuits being turned by 30° compared to the greens)

I understand of course, that the latter may be difficult to implement, with how the game is designed to be moddable.
As an example, the first game I ever played, that did a perfect job with this, was Call of Duty Black Ops (2010). The general color pallet didn't change, but instead of red for enemies and green for friendlies, other player names were orange and cyan.

The items in factorio I am struggling with the most, as seen in the screenshot above, are the following:
  • Red Circuits - Green Circuits (difficult in default mode, considerably worse with the Deuteranopia filter)
  • Red Science - Green Science (this is ok in the default filter, but impossible for me in the Deutan filter)
  • Green Science - Yellow Science (this is actually better with the Deutan filter, but almost impossible with the default)
  • Blue Science - Purple Science
  • Productivity Modules - Efficiency Modules
  • Inserters - Stack inserters (only in inventory, when placed they look different enough due to the stack inserter's bigger "hands")
  • Fast Inserters - Filter Inserters
  • Active Provider Chests - Requester Chests
  • Heavy Oil - Light Oil - Lubricant
For those with an even more severe condition than mine I would assume Passive Provider, Storage and Buffer chests to be problematic as well, for me those aren't too much of a problem though. Same with Red/Green wires
There might be more items like this, but I think these should be most of them.

I think people with Protanopia and Tritanopia would have similar problems with a general color filter, but those cases are a lot rarer and I obviously don't know which items are the problematic ones for them.

In case of any questions feel free to ask:)

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Color Blind Filter not having desired effect

Post by boskid »

Well, they are only a color filters, i am suffering for the same issue and i was complaining a lot when it was being implemented (not being effective, for me "Tritanopia" filter is a little bit better even when "Deuteranopia" filter should be sufficient), however there was internal talk about this - there are too many variations of things and every icon would have to be unique. For now we have a colorfilter which should help for some players. There are some future plans to solve this, until then its not a bug. For now moving to Ideas and suggestions.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”