New ways to get power in vanilla (+Terrain stuff)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

youRRanger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New ways to get power in vanilla (+Terrain stuff)

Post by youRRanger »

Sorry if my English is bad (I'm not native English) and this is my first post ever,
the reason I'm suggesting "Windmills" is because I feel like there are almost no ways of getting power. Just the four standard: boilers, solarpanels, accumulators and the new nuclear reactor. But I still feel like it's to less, things like a "Wooden Windmill" or a "Windmill" (Iron or steel) could be easily added to the game and give more room for acchievements aswell, for example: "Finish the game without using boilders". Also, it would stop some pollution and it would save some space (I guess we all have problems with the solar array sizes).
One more thing I'd love to have in the game are rivers, rivers could be used to create a hydroelectric power station. Yes I know, I only suggested "Green power" stuff but wait THERE'S MORE! Like in real life oil could be burned to create some sort of power. And together with rivers bridges might be added aswell, a bridge with rails would be a nice addition to the game (Visually). And now the last thing, please add some way of making water (Like the opposite of landfill) since I have a over 90 hours map on an ocean/islands map id love to have some way of preserving a little bit of the nature. After all a games appeal can also be how it looks (Just like the new ground and tree textures).

Thank you very much for reading my post and have a nice day! :D

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New ways to get power in vanilla (+Terrain stuff)

Post by Hedning1390 »

What would be the functional difference between solar and wind? Sure they would work at night, but that's mostly an aesthetic difference.

Factorio maps are flat. How would rivers work with this?

Oil can already be burnt. You just need to put it through a chemical plant first, then inserted into a boiler.

Adding water won't become a thing because:
1: Biters can't cross water, so it would be an indestructible wall.
2: Water is infinite, so you could place a 1 square water well for your offshore pump.

You can use the console to change the terrain including adding water.

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

Wind turbines do not really bring anything new. There are mods for that©, check yourself whether it feels different from what we have now.
Hydroelectricity could be interesting but only if stuff like dams and pump storage will be involved, which will be hard to implement probably. Otherwise it will be same as solar again.

About rivers on terrain: how will you like something like this?
preview

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

2: Water is infinite, so you could place a 1 square water well for your offshore pump.
This isn't strictly a foregone conclusion. What if only one terrain type can be blasted into water? Then you can make your own water or convert landfill back into water, and it doesn't throw all game balance into disarray. The amount of blastable land will be a finite resource so even if moat segments become possible, a full invincible water wall stays impossible.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

bobucles wrote:
This isn't strictly a foregone conclusion. What if only one terrain type can be blasted into water? Then you can make your own water or convert landfill back into water, and it doesn't throw all game balance into disarray. The amount of blastable land will be a finite resource so even if moat segments become possible, a full invincible water wall stays impossible.
There are already deep and shallow water in the game, because there are two colors. I suggest that player could make shallow water (dig trenches or pools), but not deep. Biters would walk slowly over shallow water and it would be possible to build walls on shallow water. That would not change much but give an additional element to defense. Player could make work and use resources to dig trenches which slow enemies and give turrets more time. But it would also give possibility to make decorative elements in late game bases or realistic looking water channels and pools for power plants or industrial areas. There is a mod and I use it, but why not it could be part of the vanilla game, if devs give already much time for graphical things.

I do not see real need for new energy forms. Difference between current solar & accumulator fields and windmill fields is small. Especially if there are no varying weather model in the game. It would fit better to mods which gives more variety and complexity.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”