Items per second info on machines.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Items per second info on machines.

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tolomea
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tolomea »

Thank you @eradicator and @ssilk
I was aware of Helmod and Factory Planner already, inline with some of the comments above I feel that at my level they are taking over a bit too much of the puzzle, mostly I just want to get rid of the repetitive error prone math. The other 3 recommendations all look good in that regard.

Neutronium
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Neutronium »

This would be a really nice thing to have added to the base game, to show the maximum input/out items per time interval. Items/min is more useful for slower crafts, and items/sec is more useful for wanting to saturate an output belt, or to deplete a supply belt. Ideally you'd have a setting to change this (and perhaps even add hour and day to it as well which have their own niche use cases). And of course, productivity research, modules, beacons, quality would affect this.

This would not only be helpful for more advanced players, but newer players as well so they have an easier to understand visual of whats coming in/out of a given machine for a given time interval. Its one of those smaller things which would have a large positive impact on the game.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Maybe you're looking for something like this
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/assembler-craft-rates

Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Definitely one of the crazier parts of the ui since the old ages, that's for sure.
In the old days, where everyone was doing ic2 calculations by hand in a sheet, and there was no established factory-builder genre, sure, that seemed reasonable.

Nowadays, while factorio usually trumps every other game in the genre being the OG with all the best ideas, that part still has remained the same.

Any calculation of any machine amount has to go directly to a sheet or factoriolab, since all the calculations with beacons, ratios, and machine crafting speeds are just impossible to do on the fly.
Same with inserter throughput, there is simply no number to work with.
The only very nice exception are the pumps, they display a number you can work with.

I would really like to be able to have the production and consumption numbers (at least nominal consumption and production) displayed on the info card. Especially seeing how the 2.0 will come with new recipes with no external calculators available. Sort of like DSP does.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

aka13 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:07 am
That's truer than you know. Inserters don't have a consistent transfer rate.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Illiander42 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:24 am
aka13 wrote:
Sure, which is pretty strange in itself. Nevertheless there is nothing that prevents the game from doing a single calculation on inserter placement and on change of the surrounding entities, taking in account the nuances listed in the wiki page, which you gracefully omitted while trying to flex your secret knowledge, and listing the nominal value that can be expected in such a configuration.
If such an intellectual like yourself can calculate the nominal transfer rate for the specific inserter position, certainly the game can as well.

Erfar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Erfar »

Tbh I would like to see not those 0.00625 per second but just recipes as Items per minute.
Captain of industry have switch that show items per processing and items per minute and as soon as you seen items per minute you never switch back

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

aka13 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 am
certainly the game can as well.
I know this thread is about adding it to the base game. But in the likely case that it won't, there are mods that can display it.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/inserter-throughput
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/quick-adj ... -inserters
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Stringweasel wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:35 am
aka13 wrote:
certainly the game can as well.
I know this thread is about adding it to the base game. But in the likely case that it won't, there are mods that can display it.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/inserter-throughput
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/quick-adj ... -inserters
+1, I loved the first one, both very solid mods. A good suggestion to anyone wanting the features "here and now", and havent seen those.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Erfar wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:26 am
Tbh I would like to see not those 0.00625 per second but just recipes as Items per minute.
In item per minutes that is 0.375, i'm not sure that is much better.

Having the time for 1 item, would maybe be more useful. ( a *60 multiplication is easier to do than doing 1/x ).

2.666 minutes to create one item.

Erfar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Erfar »

mmmPI wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:10 am
Erfar wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:26 am
In item per minutes that is 0.375, i'm not sure that is much better.

Having the time for 1 item, would maybe be more useful. ( a *60 multiplication is easier to do than doing 1/x ).

2.666 minutes to create one item.
It was abstract example. And majority of factorio items is like 1 item per minute or faster. My point was that if all recepies would be "item per second" this is a LOT of numbers with pointer (like 0.x i/s) this why i/m is better metric for showing

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

aka13 wrote:
Illiander42 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:24 am
aka13 wrote:
Sure, which is pretty strange in itself. Nevertheless there is nothing that prevents the game from doing a single calculation on inserter placement and on change of the surrounding entities, taking in account the nuances listed in the wiki page, which you gracefully omitted while trying to flex your secret knowledge, and listing the nominal value that can be expected in such a configuration.
If such an intellectual like yourself can calculate the nominal transfer rate for the specific inserter position, certainly the game can as well.
I didn't repeat the Five Tables about this on the wiki because I assume that anyone who cares about this knows enough to go look it up. (And those five tables assume compressed belts. The numbers get even more complicated with sparse belts)

So no, there isn't a single calculation that can give you the inserter transfer rate, even in a specific belt/chest configuration. The only time you have a simple calculation for inserter transfer rate is for chest-to-chest.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”