Would it be possible to make it harder to take off armor?

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Would it be possible to make it harder to take off armor?

Post by eradicator »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:57 am
And the solution is simple: Either pressing F and run around for some seconds or use the destruction manager and filter for items on ground.
F isn't feasible when belts are near, and how do you set up a decon planner if your inventory is completely full - you need to rclick it to open its settings. And even then it requires bots and oh...you just took your armor off! And now all your stuff is being sucked into some random logistics network. Not nearly as "simple" as you say ;). Maybe some day factorio will just have built-in armor-layout switching which would make the problem a real edge case.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:57 am
Sorry, multiplayer was a bad comparison. But even I play: “oh no I did it again”, and I smile what mess I did.

And the solution is simple: Either pressing F and run around for some seconds or use the destruction manager and filter for items on ground.
Right, and if it were a one-time thing that's easy to avoid, I wouldn't even have brought it up.
Think of the hidden inventory in the crafting queue: what to do with the inventory when the player aborts?
I see that as different, because it's a direct consequence of choosing to take advantage of intermediate crafting. I've never done that and had items spill and thought it wasn't my fault. For me, it usually happens when I want to cancel some manual crafting in order to prioritize some other manual crafting. The solution is simply to cancel-and-recraft one-by-one (or five-by-five, whatever) so my inventory doesn't get filled up. I figure it's my fault for manually crafting in a game about automation. :D

It's also usually not an immediate thing: I can see my inventory filling up as I cancel crafting, until eventually it fills up to where items spill if I let it.

Whereas with the armor, it's (a) immediate: I remove it and it's too late, and (b) it's never something I meant to do.
What is more important: changing to the power suit with less inventory but more fire power or forbid player to change , because he will loose items?
To me this seems an unlikely case, but I agree that it would be weird to prevent it because of that. But it's also a different case from completely removing the armor. This is a case where you're intentionally switching armor even though you know that they have different inventory sizes.

I do like a couple of ideas made above:
  • Make the added inventory part of the research instead of part of the armor, the way Toolbelt already works.
  • Or permanently increase inventory the first time inventory-creasing armor is put on, so that the inventory never gets smaller.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Inventory research: we had that already, before devs switched it to power armor.

Well, not against this suggestion, but also not convinced, that this will be changed. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jader201
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add keyboard binding for armor dialog

Post by jader201 »

Searched the forum, and surprised I couldn't find someone already suggesting this, but...

Am I the only one that would find a keyboard shortcut for opening the armor dialog really handy? How is this not already a thing?

I have two issues with only being able to right-click the armor suit icon to open the dialog:

1) I often need to hotswap my exoskeleton for laser defense when scouting to thin out enemy nests

2) I (embarrassingly) too frequently accidentally left-click it instead, dropping all my leftover inventory on the ground

So I'm just asking for some keyboard mapping to open this dialog.

Or, maybe also (or alternatively) add it to the character dialog (for those that have enough room for it).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Perhaps a second look should be taken at this now that 2.0 is getting closer. This can still be a major cause of frustration for those not paying attention or newer players.

igwb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by igwb »

I agree that in light of the upcoming improvments in the expansion it may be reasonable to revisit this issue to improve UX. (See this recent reddit thread that seems to support that idea that many think this is an issue.: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ?context=3)

I want to advocate for the modifer key solution to force unequip the armor. The concept of forcing an action with a modifier key will already be familiar from the future super-force building:
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 am
[...] Maybe alongside some modifier key like shift to force to take of the armor or just allow it if you repeat the action within a short time period.
A big improvement had already been made with preventing the spill of items onto belts. However, I think this is a band aid solution for a problem that could be prevented altogether.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Optional (?) setting for a confirmation dialog:
"This action will drop items to the ground, are you sure you want to do this?"

Possible actions:
- Taking off or replacing worn armor and items depended on the extended inventory rows.
- Cancelling a hand-craft where materials don't fit inventory.

While i say it could be optional, is there really 1 person out of all Factorio players who don't want this?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I swear sometimes people have a microphone listening to office conversations. 3 days ago I changed it so the game won’t let you manually remove your armor if it would spill items and then this post gets bumped from 2021 about the same topic.

Anyway, for 2.0 the game won’t let you manually remove your armor if it would spill items.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:11 pm
I swear sometimes people have a microphone listening to office conversations. 3 days ago I changed it so the game won’t let you manually remove your armor if it would spill items and then this post gets bumped from 2021 about the same topic.

Anyway, for 2.0 the game won’t let you manually remove your armor if it would spill items.
Many thanks, good sir. Looking forward to this change. :D

DemonicLaxatives
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DemonicLaxatives »

Rseding91 wrote:

What about item spill when cancelling crafting?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DemonicLaxatives wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:55 pm
Rseding91 wrote:

What about item spill when cancelling crafting?
That has nothing to do with armor and is far more self inflicted. The simple answer there is "don"t"
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

A simple third option that I didn't see anyone suggest after skimming the thread:

When you remove armor, you get temporary inventory slots.

Say you have 20 stacks of iron gears in your inventory, and when you take off armor 10 of those stacks would spill. Instead of spilling, the 10 extra slots are replaced with temporary inventory slots. Those iron gears stay there in those temporary slots until you pull a stack out, at which point the inventory slot it was in vanishes.

To make it a little clearer, you could also color code it. Make the temporary slots red, maybe have a "inventory overfilled" popup or something.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

buggy123 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:30 am
A simple third option that I didn't see anyone suggest after skimming the thread:
That's indeed an original proposition but that sound like a pain to me, sorry but there is this situation sometimes that occurs when you can't put something back because say robots filled your inventory when something was in your cursor. It seem like this may happen whenever you pick up something from the temporary slot and have no place to put it back immediatly.

I think this need not be missed if one skim the thread :
Rseding91 wrote:
I find it great, because i very often clicked the armor with wrong button and or improperly swap them , it felt "risky" and never was intentionnal from me to spill anything.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

mmmPI wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:41 am
That's indeed an original proposition but that sound like a pain to me, sorry but there is this situation sometimes that occurs when you can't put something back because say robots filled your inventory when something was in your cursor. It seem like this may happen whenever you pick up something from the temporary slot and have no place to put it back immediatly.
Yes, but it's still better than spilling on the ground. You get a opportunity to put the armor back on or store the items, you shouldn't just be running around with overfilled inventory all the time.
mmmPI wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:41 am
I think this need not be missed if one skim the thread :
I saw that post, but I also think the temporary inventory slots have merit. You could also use it for, say, cancelling crafting or such. Or when a mod tries to put items in your inventory. Maybe give mod authors/scenario creators control over it, so that they can e.g. give you a bunch of starting items, without giving you a ton of inventory slots or placing a starting chest.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

buggy123 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:08 am
Yes, but it's still better than spilling on the ground. You get a opportunity to put the armor back on or store the items, you shouldn't just be running around with overfilled inventory all the time.
I agree with some parts ,it's better than spilling and would have solved my trouble with the armors too, but it's maybe even "too good" if it can be used to store material from cancelled craft, because you could abuse it. I would, even if i'm not even organized enough to keep my inventory not overfilled. It would create an incentive to do so BECAUSE i can't keep my inventory from overfilling already. ( i think you shouldn't handcraft but it would become the way to extend my disorganized inventory).

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”