Islands instead of island

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Krum555
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Islands instead of island

Post by Krum555 »

TL;DR
In the new game screen you can select the island map type. But, its a single island on a very very big map

What ?
I suggest a islands map type is implemented that would generate other land masses around the starting island. That way you have to fight for the resources and the other islands with the biters.
Pictures
Yes there is a mod for it
(Singular that is actually working)
, and while the mod is great and all it isn't perfect. And i also believe that the vanilla game would benefit from this.
Why ?
Because there is no option to make the map like this in the vanilla game
Last edited by Krum555 on Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargateur
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Islands instead of island

Post by Stargateur »

If you want there is a mod for that https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IslandStart

Krum555
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krum555 »

Stargateur wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:18 am
Krum555 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:10 am
, and while the mod is great and all it isn't perfect. And i also believe that the vanilla game would benefit from this.
I am using said mod. But i had to restart because i didn't know "island" means 1 singular island.
Plus as i already stated i think the vanilla game would benefit from this.

Maybe i am alone on this hill or island in this case :D

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I think the idea of the vanilla island is to say "with limited ressources", whereas in islandS, there should be a way to island-hop, which is not very "good" in vanilla, as you would need to somehow guarantee enough stone on each island for a player to not get stuck, and a player could always end up wasting stone and getting stuck.

with modded IslandS you can use rail bridges, or boats, or hovercrafts or plenty of things that in current version of factorio do not exist to make sure a player will not get soft lock after 100 hours and required to cheat because there was no island with stone for landfill for too long.

I have used the islands/archipelagos mod several time, much more fun than 1 island to me but i think it's too severe for just vanilla.

Stargateur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stargateur »

Krum555 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:45 pm
Stargateur wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:18 am
Krum555 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:10 am
I am using said mod. But i had to restart because i didn't know "island" means 1 singular island.
Plus as i already stated i think the vanilla game would benefit from this.

Maybe i am alone on this hill or island in this case :D
Oh, well it wasn't obvious to me, format your message better :p use link ! :p

I think having it as mod is good enough. At least for now, I believe mod in factorio is part of the game, the modding tool have been build for it. Factorio dev work a lot for the modding tool. Requiring mod feature to be in base game add dev a lot of work. As long as a mod do its job without problem I don't see strong motivation to ask for dev to do it. They already work a lot to make the mod possible. Also I think island map generation was just kovarex being bored one day haha.

BUT, I think the next expansion will offer a LOT of content about map generation, the multiple planet will have many specific characteristic and I can clearly see coming an aquatic planet... I think you will have your vanilla islands in the expansion.

Krum555
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krum555 »

Stargateur wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:55 pm
Oh, well it wasn't obvious to me, format your message better :p use link ! :p

I think having it as mod is good enough. At least for now, I believe mod in factorio is part of the game, the modding tool have been build for it. Factorio dev work a lot for the modding tool. Requiring mod feature to be in base game add dev a lot of work. As long as a mod do its job without problem I don't see strong motivation to ask for dev to do it. They already work a lot to make the mod possible. Also I think island map generation was just kovarex being bored one day haha.

BUT, I think the next expansion will offer a LOT of content about map generation, the multiple planet will have many specific characteristic and I can clearly see coming an aquatic planet... I think you will have your vanilla islands in the expansion.
Yea my fault. I didn't know how to make a spoiler with a button, but i figured it out in the end

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”