[1.1.33] Ctrl+F find treats full-width space differently from ascii space

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.1.33] Ctrl+F find treats full-width space differently from ascii space

Post by eradicator »

What

When searching in the character screen for crafting recipes the game treats " " (single ascii space) between two "words" as logical AND, but the same isn't true for " " (Japanese full width space). (Non-Fuzzy search).

Why

When using Japanese input pressing the "space bar" key produces a full-width space because Japanese does not use half-width spaces. This results in rather awkward usage when typing naturally and then remembering that the space needs to be a different one and having to go back to edit it.

I'm assuming this'll be broken for any language that doesn't use ascii space.

(I also noticed that multiple ascii space aren't counted as AND either, but that might be on purpose?)

asciispace.png
asciispace.png (36.67 KiB) Viewed 940 times
widespace.png
widespace.png (36.52 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.33] Ctrl+F find treats full-width space differently from ascii space

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't believe we intend to do anything about this. The search logic doesn't do any kind of language specific processing and I don't believe we intend to add any.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.33] Ctrl+F find treats full-width space differently from ascii space

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:57 pm
Thanks for the report however I don't believe we intend to do anything about this. The search logic doesn't do any kind of language specific processing and I don't believe we intend to add any.
That is quite sad to hear. Also I wasn't asking for language specific processing. The Japanese examples are just what I happend to experience myself. A generic solution that splits the string using an equivalent of "%s" for "space" that includes all unicode whitespace should work. Aka a unicode-aware string library.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Won't fix.”