[1.1.6] Rendering on edge of chunk/void

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.6] Rendering on edge of chunk/void

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

So, linux [1.1.6] 57355, a certain old map,
User eXperience related only.

Probably not a bug in and of itself.
Rather a corner case I happened to run into.
Well you see some red lines which you may find ...erm... confusing?
Probably map-preveiw related.
Probably possible to tolerate as a "rare corner case" for the sake of an average FPS gladly.
The Steps
So, the steps to reproduce (needs a confirmation it exists (so that I'm not a teapot)):

0) you have a void that starts *exactly* at chunk border
0) you have a friend that happens to be of a bitter race.
0) said friend moves closely to the very edge of the said chunk.

1) You open a mapview to look at him.
2) Your vision range (aka radar view range) ends precisely at the said chunk.
3) You zoom yourself to 1.0 (or z > 1.0) to look at him closely
(at zoom 0.9 there's no spoon already and no red line to cross. at least for me)
The Bitter Bug
4) strangely you see red lines as if you were looking at something out of radar, but hey its void there I'm pretty sure.
(expected: respect the void. The void shall respect you back. But don't you respect into the void for too long.)
5) you see the edge of grassland as if the terrain continues further but you know there is a chasm there. And no little planes exist there either (cuz they were banished as heresy).
(expected: unsure; the chunks are good at limiting the work to be done; one extra pixels awareness defeats the idea; so unsure here.
The Screens.
The red line exists. You can see the cells, but it is not a finish line.
The red line exists. You can see the cells, but it is not a finish line.
2020-12-14.f1-1-6.1.png (433.99 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Now no cells but red line is yet to get fast enough to win.
Now no cells but red line is yet to get fast enough to win.
2020-12-14.f1-1-6.2.png (588.36 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Now the red line evolves! A friendly stone line appears!
Now the red line evolves! A friendly stone line appears!
2020-12-14.f1-1-6.3.png (75.49 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
The Rant
[rant beginz]
6) you see the rock map sprites.
(expected: in fact you are not to speak with rocks. Such rocks overlap small rivers and small chasms at Mountain-Fortress scenario (by Comfy) but ok notabug. The change is to be accepted with pleasure. Sorry for butting in, pls not mark this as dup source if a proper rock discussing thread emerges.)
7) You may want to shoot some fish at this point... But it can't heal itself! So don't shoot it. It is not a tree and you've got no fish-packs to repair it back!
[rant endz]

I have attached screens related to the subject in matter. Have _not_ quant-compressed[https://pngquant.org/] the pngs due to a lazy-bastard-nature of mine so exercise some mercy at me if you please, thank you.
It is an old map of "spiral-madness" of comfy scenarios, for those of extra high curiosity. I suppose there's no friendly void in the freeplay anyways.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.6] at _rare_ conditions zooming from mapview looks softy

Post by Klonan »

Im gonna say this not a bug, and or its a minor issue, and or we won't fix, all of the above, take your pick

KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.1.6] Rendering on edge of chunk/void

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

I roll the dice and it labels "Wont Fix".
That 3 faced dice... probably had each 2 faces merged. Don't ask if it exists. Don't ask how it _rolls_. The universe is too big to answer everything. Since I ran the Math.random()*3|0 one with 2 in 0-based and using your list as a jump label table the result is purely (not-crypto-secure)-random pick. Though non deterministic and non-reproduceable.
And since it does not matter really anyways... It is as good as ded in any of these piles.
While "the op post described one" being an issue to play with it is not a bug nor a fps/ups/gameplay issue; so not a priority one for certain. Off the shelf it goes then.
unrelated and not so fun bruh with 10+ lines hides in the folding depth

Return to “Won't fix.”