[1.1.1] "The cut tool now properly includes trains." change doesn't work

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
tappi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.1] "The cut tool now properly includes trains." change doesn't work

Post by tappi »

0. https://i.imgur.com/xO0tWb5.png
1. I ctrl-x a train on train tracks https://i.imgur.com/SY8LPQ7.png
2. The train is deleted and is now in my selection, the selection only includes the tracks https://i.imgur.com/fsVErUS.png
3. I place the selection https://i.imgur.com/qD3lnuq.png

Expected: The train is built (it should already be in the selection)

Outcome: Train isn't built

Also corollary, pressing shift changes the color of the cut tool selection but doesn't seem to change it functionally in any way.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.1] "The cut tool now properly includes trains." change doesn't work

Post by boskid »

Eh... it was properly added before 1.1.0 was released, changelog line was added and then it was reverted but the changelog line was left... As for me i would move this to "won't fix".

tappi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tappi »

This feature will no longer be implemented? Like at all? Why?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Because trains being included in copy/cut paste proved to be more annoying than helpful during the playtesting.

tappi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tappi »

Would it be possible to enable it as a configuration option or make it easy to be enabled through modding? I'm designing a train based base and I'm constantly cursing when I don't remember I can't universally cut my modules that happen to be designed with pre-placed and filtered and scheduled trains because the cut functionality destroys them without any way for me to get them back.

To me the fact that this tool allows one to destroy done work with no way to get it back is bad design. A cut tool to me should always copy everything it destroys. The use-case of when you would actually want to move an area with a train with the intention of also permanently destroying that train feels miniscule to me in comparison to the situation where you have trains, and want to keep them.

Furthermore if your use case is to move a section of a base and in the same operation destroy a train it's still super easy with the swapped functionality. You do the cut, and then you destroy the train very easily with other tools provided. In the current functionality the game doesn't provide me the tools to restore order after cut destroys my trains.

If I want to move a section of my base with a pre-designed train in it it's an arduous process of having to make a temporary blueprint, selecting the trains, storing it in my inventory, destroying my existing module, and finally I can actually move it.

If you don't like the fact that ctrl-c would copy trains then just don't make ctrl-c copy trains. And if this "inconsistency" is preventing you from making this change to cut, then i'll tell you it's already inconsistent. Cut already works on trains always; it just destroys them instead of also copying.

tappi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tappi »

Alternatively re-enable shift for ctrl-x that allows one to copy the train it deletes. Previously shift on ctrl-x seemed to just revert to copying and didn't delete anything, when it could've easily have made to always delete and allow you to customize what you want in the paste.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The problem with configuration of the cut tool application (the alternative select with cut tool)is, that people would immediatelly start demanding that it not only affects what gets copied but also what was cut, and I don't want to go down this way and i also don't want to read the reports about this over and over, so it was just disabled for simplicity.

Return to “Won't fix.”