Missing update packages or updater can't bridge a gap for linux-headless64

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
mad_max034
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Missing update packages or updater can't bridge a gap for linux-headless64

Post by mad_max034 »

Hi,
I'm trying to update my headless server from 0.16.36 up to the current stable version (0.17.79), but I'm hitting a wall at 0.16.51 using narc0tiq's update script. There seems to either be packages missing between 0.16.51 and 0.17.10 when pulling the update list over at https://updater.factorio.com/get-available-versions or the updater api isn't able to bridge the version gap.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Missing update packages or updater can't bridge a gap for linux-headless64

Post by posila »

0.16.36 is ancient, just download the full headless server. It has 44 MB, each update package has 20 - 30 MB

mad_max034
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mad_max034 »

I understand it could be ancient, but I got up to 0.16.51 (which seems like it's the last revision of this minor version).

The problem is not the file size, but making sure I can safely update a server without losing its saved game for which I wasn't able to find documentation aside from this procedure that updated the server partially.

So if I understand correctly, all necessary updates on the save game should be performed automatically upon starting the new server version ?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Updating the game does not change save files. You can load your current save in the latest version of the game, if that is what you are asking. Wether your base will be of use after the gameplay changes since then is the real question.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

The way I always update headless server is to delete bin and data folder, and copy new ones from unpacked full headless server downloads.
Only downside is that it requires you to not have any custom files in bin and data (like your server-settings.json), but that shouldn't be a problem. Just overwriting the folders will sometimes break the game as files that should have been removed are not.

Return to “Won't fix.”