[0.18.24] Every individual layer within an icon casts a shadow

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.18.24] Every individual layer within an icon casts a shadow

Post by kirazy »

I'm making a mod that allows for user-customizable color definitions, and so of necessity I can't bake icons down to one color sprite.

I have the following issue, when I have sprites that have multiple layers, each layer is casting a shadow, and the shadow is cast on the layer below it, which looks weird for some entities and less so for others, but for example:

Calling attention to the way that the shell on the construction robot item on the belt seems to stand point more than it should, and the way the arrows on the miniloader also pop out.

I have the entities used to make the icon on the right for comparison.

I also made this example that shows just the base layer used for the sprites, compared to the icon with all the layers:

This may not be the best entity to convey the issue, since the shell is casting a shadow more or less where it should be, but in the animation above you should notice that the shadow becomes more dark, more intense when all the layers are turned on.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.24] Every individual layer within an icon casts a shadow

Post by posila »

I think we will have to bake layered icons on startup eventually, but for time being I am moving this to won't fix so people don't account with the fix coming in some distant future and try to avoid using layered icons when possible.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.24] Every individual layer within an icon casts a shadow

Post by kirazy »

Gotcha. I look forward to the eventual baking. :D

Return to “Won't fix.”