[0.17.75] NPE: Partially blocking biter paths breaks biter-following cutscenes.

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
luziferius
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.75] NPE: Partially blocking biter paths breaks biter-following cutscenes.

Post by luziferius »

You can break the cutscenes during the first part of the Arrival campaign, in which the biters spawn, go to ship wrecks and munch on them.

This is probably a minor issue, but it looks odd nonetheless when happening. This happens only due to malicious intent, when you try to break the scenario.

Steps to reproduce:
  1.  Play Arrival until approaching Compilatron triggers the second biter attack wave. (Quest says "Go to Compilatron.", but don’t do this yet.)
  2.  Build a stone furnace wall from the very north of the map to the southern end, leaving some room in the south. This’ll later cause the Pathfinder to path around the wall and lead the biters to the southern map border.
  3.  Approach Compilatron to trigger the cutscene.
  4.  The cutscene starts: Biters spawn and start heading towards the shipwreck
  5.  Due to the blocked path, the attack group derails from the intended straight path. After some time, the camera detaches and moves to the destination. Nothing happens there, because the biters haven’t arrived yet.
  6.  Then the camera moves back to the player and the cutscene ends.
What I expect:
Either: The camera stays with the biters until the wreck is destroyed.
Or: The biters perform an attack-move and chew through the wall. (Maybe using a script to speed up the destruction like the one used when Compilatron is stuck? Or buffing the attack strength to something like 10000 until they approach the wreck? )
Or: They path through the furnaces.

I’ve recorded me playing, the spoiler contains a link to a WEBM video with about one minute of footage showing this issue. (It also shows two additional, unrelated issues: Flickering quest text around Compilatron and a brief display of internal variables. I’ll post the latter two in separate issues.)
Video

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.75] NPE: Partially blocking biter paths breaks biter-following cutscenes.

Post by wheybags »

Thanks for the report. We know you can break the cutscenes if you want to, but as you said it requires "malicious intent", so I don't feel it's worth adding a bunch more complicated code trying to fix it. Moving to won't fix for now.

Return to “Won't fix.”