[0.17.16] Wrongly defined render order for undergrounds and loaders

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.17.16] Wrongly defined render order for undergrounds and loaders

Post by Deadlock989 »

Hi, sorry to bang this drum repeatedly, but I think it qualifies as a bug.

Underground and loader sprites can have several components: shadows, belts, and the structure (the latter defined in direction_in and direction_out, for both types of entity).

Bug 1: For both undergrounds and loaders, the structure is drawn behind any non-belt sprites (e.g. furnaces, assemblers etc.) that are "further away" (i.e. further north). The non-belt, non-shadow components of undergrounds and loaders should have the same render priority as the main sheets in other types of entity, i.e. they should be drawn on top of other entities that are further north.

Bug 2: When undergrounds are packed together north to south, the structure is correctly rendered behind any "nearer" (i.e. further south) belts. However for loaders, they are drawn on top of nearer belts. The direction_in and direction_out sheets defined in loader sprites should have the same render order priority as they do in undergrounds.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.16] Wrongly defined render order for undergrounds and loaders

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
Won't fix.

Related to bug 1) 66869

And bug 2) 65627
Even though it is slightly different problem. Eventually, we will add graphics for loaders since they are use in the Introduction scenario now, but it is impossible for me to predict how they will need to be drawn, so it is pointless for me to do anything with it as it would need to be changed later anyway. Underground belt achieves this by having main structure, back patch and front patch. Loaders support just a structure at the moment.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.16] Wrongly defined render order for undergrounds and loaders

Post by Deadlock989 »

posila wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 pm
Thanks for the report.
Won't fix.

Related to bug 1) 66869

And bug 2) 65627
Even though it is slightly different problem. Eventually, we will add graphics for loaders since they are use in the Introduction scenario now, but it is impossible for me to predict how they will need to be drawn, so it is pointless for me to do anything with it as it would need to be changed later anyway. Underground belt achieves this by having main structure, back patch and front patch. Loaders support just a structure at the moment.
That's disappointing, but I can follow the reasoning.

If there are potentially 256 layers though, wouldn't more layer granularity solve the problem? eg. high to low

- Airborne
- Objects
- Player
- Belt objects
- Shadows
- Belts
- Tiles
- Terrain

etc.

Just for the record, it was much easier to work around these issues with "belt-fed" sprites when belts themselves stayed within a tile. Now that belts exceed tile boundaries, it has become pretty much impossible to have a full solution.

Good to know that loaders are becoming more "official" and will get official graphics. I assume you will encounter these same issues when that day comes ... However they are drawn in the end, it would make sense for them to have the same back_patch, direction_in etc. structure as undergrounds because they are functionally so similar.

(If loaders are in the introduction campaign, why aren't they available in freeplay?)

Return to “Won't fix.”