[0.17.x] Dynamic pluralization not working for most strings in RTL languages

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.x] Dynamic pluralization not working for most strings in RTL languages

Post by Dev-iL »

When running the following command in a RTL locale (e.g. Hebrew), it shows the pluralization codes, instead of a comprehensible sentence.

Code: Select all

/c game.print({"gui-map-generator.reset-to-preset", 5})
Expected result:
אתחול 5 אפשרויות לברירת המחדל

Actual result:

Notes:
  • It does work for strings that don't have words besides the pluralization structure (e.g. the strings called: "days", "minutes", etc).
  • The issue might stem from the localization saved in Crowdin, though it's very difficult to tell due to the way mixed LTR-RTL strings are displayed there.
  • (The console entries and window itself should be justified to the right, but that's a different issue....)
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

siwy2411
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Dynamic pluralization not working for most strings in RTL languages

Post by siwy2411 »

I'm not sure it really is connected with RTL languages - I have a similar problem when playing in Polish - see screenshot below:
bug.png
bug.png (194.18 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
but then again, it might be a different bug :)

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Dynamic pluralization not working for most strings in RTL languages

Post by Dev-iL »

siwy2411 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm
I have a similar problem when playing in Polish
Hi there! I know for a fact that this is an issue with the localization (a recurring mistake by one of the translators, which they were made aware of). If the correction hasn't made it into 0.17.3, it will surely happen in one of the next releases. If however, this doesn't happen, and the string on Crowdin appears to be correct, then it would be worthy of a bug report. You can always participate on Crowdin if you want to speed up or improve the localization :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The problem seems to be the missing __ (double underscore) at the end of the plural definition. Not a bug of factorio.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The Hebrew locale is not missing that underscore: https://crowdin.com/translate/factorio/18/en-he#35572. Please dont confuse the two offtopic posts with the actual bug in the first post.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

I've made a userscript today that allows to toggle the direction in which Hebrew strings are displayed in Crowdin's translation textareas between LTR and RTL (it's nothing fancy, just change some attribute in of the web control, no bidi(rectional) inversion or anything like that going on). It was meant as a tool for translators, but it might also be handy for debugging (to see whether codes are intact despite their strange appearance in RTL).

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Now I get it. We have a script that changes the order of all words in the translation, and it also changes the plural definition backwards. The script probably should be fixed to not do that.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

So... this is not longer an issue, since RTL support is removed

Return to “Won't fix.”