Gates over railroads do not recognize newly-placed trains

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
dewiniaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Gates over railroads do not recognize newly-placed trains

Post by dewiniaid »

When placing train wagons, it is possible to build it along a railway that has gates going between wagons on the train.

When doing so, the gates will not recognize the presence of the train and remain closed. When the train begins to move, it immediately collides with the gates. If the player walks into range of the gates they will open and then function as expected.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Gates over railroads do not recognize newly-placed trains

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't consider this worth changing. The gates don't actually collide with the train in that example which is what allows you to build them in the first place. (you can turn on the show-collision-rectangles debug option and see there's plenty of space for the gates to not hit the train).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

dewiniaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Gates over railroads do not recognize newly-placed trains

Post by dewiniaid »

They do collide the moment the train attempts to move.. and it is contrary to normal behavior of gates opening when a train is in proximity.

To clarify, collide as in doing collision damage to the gate and/or wagon, not overlapping collision boxes.

IMHO the correct behavior is for the gate to open when the wagon is placed. IIRC this is the case if the gate is built second, and is also the case if a train had arrived and happened to stop there.

Return to “Won't fix.”