[0.15.3] Inconsistent behavior with underground belts

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.3] Inconsistent behavior with underground belts

Post by Teraka »

I built a balanced train unloader which relies on the specific way priority works when inserting into an underground belt. When functioning properly, the design can unload from 3 chests, saturating half of a blue belt, and keep the chests evenly loaded.
Screenshot
The problem is that it breaks if the other half of the underground belt is saturated while it is working. You can see it in this clip:
webm
When the design works properly, the top and bottom stack inserters are always activated in sync, activating the same number of times. This is in part because the top inserter lets items go through slowly while it's inserting, leaving space for the bottom one to insert its items right after.
You can see that when I saturate the other side of the belt, the top inserter inserts instantly instead, completely stopping the flow of items from behind and preventing the bottom inserter from going as frequently as it should. This results in the top inserter activating almost twice as often as the bottom one, and the design not working properly anymore.

I'm not sure which scenario is the intended behavior, but either way it's currently inconsistent and unreliable.
Blueprint String
Edit: I've also done the test without any mods just in case, the observed behavior was exactly the same.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.3] Inconsistent behavior with underground belts

Post by posila »

This will be probably changed completely with belt optimization.

Charcoal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Charcoal »

Seems like the same problem i found in my factory

20170512131704_1.jpg
20170512131704_1.jpg (923.89 KiB) Viewed 2294 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Charcoal wrote:Seems like the same problem i found in my factory
That's a different issue. What you're doing is sideloading onto an underground belt, which lets the lane on the open side of the underground belt through and is now an "unintended feature" used in a few setups (like this for example). I don't think the belt optimizations will change that. On the copper belt just rotate the last piece of belt so it points to the right (towards the inserter), it then won't spill onto the plastics belt.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

This has been fixed. Inserters placing items on underground belts have no longer priority. Regardless if the other line is full or not.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Won't fix.”