[1.1.42] Windows 10 emoji keyboard inserts invalid characters into the console

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
mozzarella
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.42] Windows 10 emoji keyboard inserts invalid characters into the console

Post by mozzarella »

When using the Windows 10 emoji keyboard (shortcut Win + .) to type emojis into the console, they do not show up in-game and are replaced by what appears to be a blank space.
Screenshot (93).png
Screenshot (93).png (256.75 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Screenshot (94).png
Screenshot (94).png (179.45 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Factorio 2021.10.20 - 18.14.50.01-1.mp4
(974.9 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Furthermore, when running a headless server we can see the chat log in stdout - this is what appears there:

Code: Select all

2021-10-20 18:13:59 [JOIN] mozzarella.foxfire joined the game
2021-10-20 18:14:57 [CHAT] mozzarella.foxfire: asdf
2021-10-20 18:15:08 [CHAT] mozzarella.foxfire: ����������������������������‍♂️��������

UkcsAlias
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.42] Windows 10 emoji keyboard inserts invalid characters into the console

Post by UkcsAlias »

It is quite common for games to not contain all the characters of unicode (unicode has a huge number of characters which can take quite some diskspace). And in the case of emoji's. i dont think its that much of a problem as those do contain a lot of hidden characters with them that make this significantly more complex than most people would even realize (note skin color modifiers are characters).

And yes, there are simplified versions of those characters. But those characters often also dont look quite well as they are generaly quite outdated (and still restricted by having no colors in them). Even if those would be added, it wont look good. I think the � char would at least be a good one to show instead of a whitespace though, as that at least shows that a character wasnt rendered correctly.

But other than that i do not see any need to render all those emoji's. As those are normaly not needed for an ingame chat. The basic emoji still have old writings styles for them like:

Code: Select all

:) :D <3 :O
. And those are already good enough.

Return to “Won't fix.”