Website Style/Theme

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Post Reply
Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Contact:

Website Style/Theme

Post by Aza-Industries » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 am

Hey, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I'm just curious if you guys have plans to spruce up the forums and theme/style them to suit factorio more?

If you don't have anyone to do it you could look through the free styles database using this site:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... tion/demo/

Just change the style in the top left dropdown menu to see a demo of the style selected.

Most if not all are covered under the GPL v2.0 license, as far as I know it's fine for comercial use.. but I'm not into legal stuff at all.
License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

There is nothing wrong with how your forum is laid out and setup, but the first impression I got from it when I arrive is slightly non-professional (for lack of a better word), which is clearly not the case with you guys.
Maybe it's just me and my dislike for default stylings, but I firmly believe in first impressions.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by slpwnd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 am

Good point. The forum looks a bit 90-ish. We will find some good theme.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by Aza-Industries » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 pm

slpwnd wrote:Good point. The forum looks a bit 90-ish. We will find some good theme.
Kewl, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

I hope I didn't sound to forward in my first post, it was merely an observation on my part not a criticism.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by slpwnd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Actually we have been having this in mind for a while ...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by MF- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I don't mind the current forum. Standard PHPBB, so what.
It has really good content:candy ratio.

I would actually prefer "+1" buttons and "strikeout" support to a changed graphical appearance.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by Aza-Industries » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm

MF- wrote:I don't mind the current forum. Standard PHPBB, so what.
It has really good content:candy ratio.

I would actually prefer "+1" buttons and "strikeout" support to a changed graphical appearance.
Well if they arn't making there own theme and using a premade one it only takes a few minute to actually do that...

So other stuff you'd like could be a whole separate topic.

I stand by my idea that the standard PHPBB style doesn't lend itself to a good first impression. As changing it is so little effort I think using it implies a lack of bother or care, again wrongly representing the dedication the devs have for their game.

I had a great example of how a little change makes a whole lot of difference, I could have shown you but my website is getting rebuilt using vbulletin at the moment and my old phpbb isn't up anymore =(
Bad timing.

My suggestion isn't for my benefit, I just believe it would help this game and it's image to newcomers and the like.

EDIT: I have had experience with this sort of thing before. :|
Last edited by Aza-Industries on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by MF- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Developer's dedication should not be wasted on the forums.
Ideally the community should run it for them, sparing their time.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by Aza-Industries » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm

MF- wrote:Developer's dedication should not be wasted on the forums.
Ideally the community should run it for them, sparing their time.
That's not what I'm suggesting. =/

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by ficolas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:23 pm

MF- wrote:Developer's dedication should not be wasted on the forums.
Ideally the community should run it for them, sparing their time.
That is like saying to the devs: SHUDUP! DONT DO ANYTHING, JUST CODE

(not trying to offend or something, just sharing my opinion)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by MF- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm

ficolas wrote: That is like saying to the devs: SHUDUP! DONT DO ANYTHING, JUST CODE

(not trying to offend or something, just sharing my opinion)
Good point. I forgot that might look like me suggesting WHAT to do with the spared time.
PS: I was definitely NOT condemning their presence on this forums :D

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by slpwnd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 pm

I had a look at some existing free skins and some of them look quite well. Applying it shouldn't take too much time. We will see. I think a dark theme would go much better with the factorio style. However now when I think about it some people might dislike it because of the readability issues. Couple of themes to consider:

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/blackbox
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/CA+Black
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/proBlack
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/abrasive
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/X-Treme+Orange

Actually maybe we could make a poll about these (and other candidates).

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by wrtlprnft » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 pm

slpwnd wrote:However now when I think about it some people might dislike it because of the readability issues.
I'd be one of those. However, if I can still switch to the original theme in my profile, I wouldn't mind.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by MF- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

wrtlprnft wrote:
slpwnd wrote:However now when I think about it some people might dislike it because of the readability issues.
I'd be one of those. However, if I can still switch to the original theme in my profile, I wouldn't mind.
Same here, contrast is important and my eyes seem to dislike the first (blackbox) theme

User avatar
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by FreeER » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 pm

slpwnd wrote:I had a look at some existing free skins and some of them look quite well. Applying it shouldn't take too much time. We will see. I think a dark theme would go much better with the factorio style. However now when I think about it some people might dislike it because of the readability issues.
Actually maybe we could make a poll about these (and other candidates).
You are probably correct about the readability issues, and if a theme that some people may have issues reading is chosen as the default then upon joining people should probably get a message explaining how to change it. But I figured I'd go ahead and order the one's you mentioned by how much I like them :)

x-treme-red (have to mention it since I personally love red/black themes :))
x-treme-orange
problack
ca black
abrasive
blackbox
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by MF- » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:30 am

FreeER wrote:You are probably correct about the readability issues, and if a theme that some people may have issues reading is chosen as the default then upon joining people should probably get a message explaining how to change it. But I figured I'd go ahead and order the one's you mentioned by how much I like them :)

x-treme-red (have to mention it since I personally love red/black themes :))
x-treme-orange
problack
ca black
abrasive
blackbox
My order of preference seems to be exactly the same.
The x-treme-orange suffers from a Y-space problem, though. (Top banners take up all my (~720) vertical space and little-to-none posts are displayed, I always have to scroll)

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by Aza-Industries » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 am

hmmm.

To be honest, I'm not into the darker themes.
Greys usually work a lot better then blacks.

And 3D/emboss effects seems pretty outdated IMO, the themes in that list all seem a bit harsh.
I don't know how to explain it. =/

Here's a greys example: http://www.aza-industries.net/forum/index.php
The forum is non functioning it's just leftovers from the move to Vbulletin.

EDIT: Here is my showing of some of my work. :oops:
hires: http://www.aza-industries.net/aaronsima ... ewssss.jpg
Image

I was just expecting something sleaker and fresh.

But all of these are just my opinions and you can take them with a grain of salt.

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by Arakasi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 am

I like the http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/X-Vision
I know its not dark but colours grey and blue seems to fit factorio topic too.
And there should not be problem with readability on worse displayes

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Website Style/Theme

Post by slpwnd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 am

Aza-Industries wrote:hmmm.
EDIT: Here is my showing of some of my work. :oops:
hires: http://www.aza-industries.net/aaronsima ... ewssss.jpg
I spent bit more time looking into forum themes and I agree that this one actually looks really pretty. I think for factorio the color combination could be tuned more towards orange or yellowish, but the basic concept could work very well. Is this based on an existing phpbb theme or is it completely made by yourself?

Post Reply

Return to “This Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users