Idea: New Sub-forum for all combinator related topics!

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Idea: New Sub-forum for all combinator related topics!

Post by provet »

Would be soooo much easier if all the combinator topics were gathered in one place not just to keep them all in one place, but to avoid flooding general/help/gameplay sub-forums when they could all be in their own.

It could be anything combinator, really but:
showing off creations
ask for help regarding combs
talk about tips and tricks
discuss combinators in general
just anything else combinator related.

Then I'd have a place to post this filter (wip) and ask if anyone knows how to solve the filtering issues I'm having with this design :D
Last edited by provet on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Idea: New Sub-forum for all combinator related topics!

Post by brunzenstein »

provet wrote:Would be soooo much easier if all the combinator topics were gathered in one place, just for showing off creations, ask for help, talk about tips and tricks, discuss combinators in general, or just anything else combinator related.
I sign that!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I see the point.
How about "Show my Creations / Combinators" ?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

ssilk wrote:Hm. I see the point.
YES

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

You mean as in integrating combinator related topics into the already established "Show my Creations" sub-forum?

Not sure, I'd like to have it clean with only combinator related things tho, but I guess I'll take what I can get :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

provet wrote:

You mean as in integrating combinator related topics into the already established "Show my Creations" sub-forum?

Not sure, I'd like to have it clean with only combinator related things tho, but I guess I'll take what I can get :)
Yes - a separate dedicated forum, not a subforum.
Named "combinators problems/solutions/strategies"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I thought a bit about it. I think we should not make that without a moderator for that, cause it is so extremely special. Me for example would be able to look a bit over it, but for details or deeper investigation I don't have the knowledge.

So if we have a moderator for that, then it will be kept clean. Some candidates for this job here?

And the other problem: Is it more something like "Show your creations" or "Contributions"?
More input please. :)

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

ssilk wrote:I thought a bit about it. I think we should not make that without a moderator for that, cause it is so extremely special. Me for example would be able to look a bit over it, but for details or deeper investigation I don't have the knowledge.

So if we have a moderator for that, then it will be kept clean. Some candidates for this job here?

And the other problem: Is it more something like "Show your creations" or "Contributions"?
More input please. :)

I'd like it for a common meeting place for veterans and newbies alike to share and gain new knowledge about combinators. In a way, like the modding discussion sub-forum, a way to discuss and discover how the combinators can enhance the game.

As for moderators, me myself lacking in both combinator knowledge and time to moderate, how about putting up a Wanted poster for combinator moderators? :D

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

ssilk wrote:I thought a bit about it. I think we should not make that without a moderator for that, cause it is so extremely special.

Why not without a moderator? No need at all.
Its so special that only real buffs would post there.
And if some whacko should enter there and disturb its always the possibility to announce to the global moderators and close the forum.
I would try it unmoderated and let nature take its course...

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

brunzenstein wrote:
ssilk wrote:I thought a bit about it. I think we should not make that without a moderator for that, cause it is so extremely special.

Why not without a moderator? No need at all.
Its so special that only real buffs would post there.
And if some whacko should enter there and disturb its always the possibility to announce to the global moderators and close the forum.
I would try it unmoderated and let nature take its course...

I don't really see a problem with this. The middle ground could be to just have an.. "ordinary" moderator for this sub.

Apart from some ground rules about posting (Only Combinator/logic related topics) as well as the global forum rules and it should be fine.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

OK, so I've been in touch with ssilk about that and he relayed to me as well that he's up for the idea but needs a moderator (asking me if I'd do it).

I agree with Brunzenstein here: We should establish a forum first, and see how things go. If we need organization (a moderator), one will be appointed. I'd be willing to volunteer if nobody else wants the job more.

@ssilk: If having a mod for the sub-forum is a hard requirement for you, then I'll do it. I'd prefer to have a separate forum account though for that task, if that is possible. I don't want to be a blue or green poster when I'm having one of my opinionated rants.

The question now is, where to put the forum. Do we make it a subforum of something else, or do we put it at the top level?

My suggestion for the forum name: Combinatorio Welcome to Combinator land. CPUs, digital displays, crazy contraptions, discuss all things Combinator here

I really think at first it's enough for one simple section called Combinatorio, either at the top level or maybe below General Discussion or Show Your Creations. Top level might be best, unless that's considered too crowded.

What do you guys think?
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I really like the name. Yes, I think moderator is currently just an option.

What is more useful: under

[ ] Contributions or under

[ ] Show your Creations?

(or better idea?)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

To be honest I don't think there's a top level category that really fits (except "General" of course).

It's not only about showing creations, it's also about general discussion, geeking off, publishing projects (CPU, train scheduler, whatever else there might be).

So any category you'd pick would be kind of wrong.

Therefore I say: put it under General if you have to, but another top level forum would be best, to be honest. I know there are many already, but in my opinion this is a spot that needs to be easy to find. I think there are lots of players who are interested in this, even though most are not going in-depth on the topic.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

+1 Image!

(remove gif if it's unallowed here)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm.... two more ideas (will not be implemented, I just want to see a tendency for the long term-plan):

- A new board below "Support". Everything else identical to new board below "Contributions".

- The big plan: A completely new Main-Category (Same Level like General, Support ...) named "X-torio". Below "Combinatorio", "Elektrokatorio", "Lokomotorio", .... plus move of "Show your Creations" and "Maps and Scenarios" into there (both can be linked from the old places into there).

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Yes, it would be good to have a main category to discuss the game proper. The categories you've mentioned are good examples

The Locomotion (Trains and railroads) "Choo, choo! Design a pretty railroad but don't become roadkill."
Combinatorio "Welcome to Combinator land. CPUs, digital displays, crazy contraptions, discuss all things Combinator here"
On the Factory Floor (Factory designs) "May your assemblers never idle and your liquids always flow."
Power On (Energy)
Biters are Hungry (Combat and defense)
Super-Size Me (Megabase Designs)

(I don't have flavour text for everything, but you get the picture :)

Trains and railroads; Combinators; Factory designs; Energy; Combat and defense; Megabases

All of these could be under 1 top-level category (maybe called "Play the Game").

Support->Gameplay help should also be under "Play the Game", and maybe called "This Is All New to Me" or just "General".

The names I've suggested are a bit more easy going than the very clinical names we have right now. It's a computer game, after all. It's, of course, only a suggestion.

Then you'd have what's now the "General" category only for META topics, like releases, news, and what else is there now.

"Show your Creations" and "General" are too, well, "general". They should not even exist in my opinions, because everybody tends to dump their stuff in there and you end up with no organization again.

"Factorio Direction" and "Contributions" BTW look fine in my opinion.

Oh, another thing: the flavor text of the various categories could need some spicing up. Some of them are redundant (they just repeat what the forum title tells you already). It's not so easy to come up with something easy-going that's not cliched or cheesy, though. I've tried with my suggestion for the "Combinatorio" flavour text above. I think all the new game related categories (Trains, etc.) could use a flavour text like that.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

siggboy wrote:
+1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm burried in some work for the past 2 and next 1-2 days, this is not forgotten.

I don't see me as "driver" of this topic, so if someone wants to increase progress of this discussion feel free. Advertising in other boards. :)

Would be useful, if some dev could also write an opinion.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Well, you are the "driver" :). Like it or non, hah.

Of course you can always simply do what we tell you to do :lol: :lol:

Return to “This Forum”