Necro suggestion threads?

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Necro suggestion threads?

Post by MalcolmCooks »

I would like to know what the mods and users here would prefer:
There are lots of older suggestion threads with good ideas that have nevertheless not been active for many months. If you find that your suggestion has already been posted in an old inactive thread, and you want to add your discussion to it, is it better to repost as a new thread, or to just necro the old one? I would tend towards only adding to the thread with new, valuable discussion (i.e. not just to say that you support the idea or agree with other's discussion) but I would not like to annoy anyone that way.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Necro suggestion threads?

Post by Koub »

I'm personnally for necroing when an old discussion is still revelant. For example, I wuoldn't necro an old suggestion about creating a personal roboport, because they have been added, so old discussions about them would probably be irrevenant.
However, necroing an old suggestion about alternative means to produce power (if there weren't already like 3 or 4 of them currently going) would be totally OK to me.
However I just spoke for myself, I'll let the others mods express their preferences :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I agree with Koub. If you have an idea and search for it, finding an old thread that has the same/similar idea which is still not implemented, then I would actually prefer if you posted in that thread. I sometimes already merged such topics in the past instead of linking them.
This will also make it easier for us mods and other users to find other relevant information, as you already made a "connection" to that older thread. This way we avoid some people posting in the older and some in the newer thread, unaware of the other one.

Although some threads work better than others in that regard. The old thread should still be on-topic (the first post having the same/similar idea that you have) and only contain that idea. Adding your idea to a thread where OP posted 10 ideas and only one is the same as yours is counterproductive.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Same opinion. It spares me some time, for example suggestions around nuclear power: Nothing has changed ever. :)

In doubt I can offer to be asked via PM. I received some questions like so in the last months. But it might take a day until I answer.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

In my opinion the age of a thread is irrelevant. If you have something to write fitting the topic of a thread, do it. I can't think about any reason why the time of the last post in a thread is important.

Maybe the original question / matter of concern of the original thread starter is not valid anymore, but in that case it's still not necroing, but just offtopic / spam.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Return to “This Forum”