Limit effect of spambots with forum settings

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Limit effect of spambots with forum settings

Post by Krayt »

I propose to somehow limit the effect of spam bots in the forum through the introduction of new forum settings.
I don't know phpBB well, because I mostly used another Forum software myself as admin, mod and user, but in the forum software I know, there was the possibility to insert an interval you have to wait before posting again.
If such a feature is included in phpBB, it would an easy way of preventing a spam bot from posting 11 posts in 9 minutes (edit: 30 posts in 29 minutes now). Simply add a 60 second interval between the creation of two posts and this would not be possible.

When joining the forum I noticed, that there is a group for newly registered users.
If only this group had the restriction at least newly joined spambots wouldn't have the possibility to spam this much.
Regular users would be affected little, because in most of the cases you spend at least the time interval typing, given they write enough for the post to be good.

I reckon after some time or amount of posts the user group for newly registered members is revoked.

Greetings
Krayt

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Limit effect of spambots with forum settings

Post by sillyfly »

This thread has more discussion about this topic: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 55&t=12401

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

Ah ok thank you for the information. I didn't look into all topics for possible redundancies. But if you just see the the title, you can not conclude that it deals with several methods of spam prevention. I think maybe a pinned topic with a collection of different suggestions and methods to improve the forum could make sense.
There they could be categorized according to their state like "suggested", "discussed", "accepted", "declined" and "implemented".

But right now in my opinion an own topic is justified. The topic you told about evolved into a small collection of suggestions, but the title doesn't allow most forum members to identify it as such.

Furthermore I have the question what has been done in the past against spambots? The other topic with the suggestions started several months ago and I don't see any pinned topic with information about what has been done.
Procrastinating can't be a solution.

Sorry if I sound a bit too critical or harsh in this post.

Greetings
Krayt

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The official plan is, to connect the forum with the Factorio-Website. Guest users can also login, but a spammer needs to read through all of this "new" kind of login. I think this will keep away 95% of the spammers. Maybe this works also with the Wiki.

When? Well, good question. Kuba seems to work on this, it can take some time, cause the connection is complex.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “This Forum”