Ideas and suggestions organization

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ideas and suggestions organization

Post by SHiRKiT »

I'd like to congratulate the users and the moderators that are doing the awesome job of organizing, even a few topics a week, into proper sub-forums. I salute you (I'm sorry if this is spam :( but I'd love to hear a feedback if I were at your spot)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ideas and suggestions organization

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Glad you appreciate :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Again, thank you SHiRKiT . "Runs down like oil" (German proverb)

I just calculated a bit: If we want to sort out the suggestions within a year to a minimum, and there are 12 new every week, we need to move about 50 suggestions per week. Could be hard for only 3 moderators, because there are some suggestions where myself for example sit 5 or 10 minutes or so to decided if it is worth keeping.

If we would be more this would work faster. If someone is interested to do this job, then watch, what we are currently doing and how and PM me.

(But I think it is worth the afford, even if it is by far not guaranteed, that the devs will implement any of the suggestions. I see that as some kind of treasure, that can be lifted.)

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I literally don't have the time to do so. I drop around the forum just mainly to check the Mods section nowadays, since there's SO MUCH people talking on the forums that I can't keep up anymore with everyone's topics.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's the same with me.
I try to read most of it, in some boards I'm looking in only once a week or less.
But the more moderators we are, the better is the chance
- to kick out spammers fast
- to stop stupid discussions
- to move stuff to the right place
- to read all

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

ssilk wrote: (But I think it is worth the afford, even if it is by far not guaranteed, that the devs will implement any of the suggestions. I see that as some kind of treasure, that can be lifted.)
Well nothing stops a modder from poking around in there and maybe making his own thing out of it.

Most ideas are worth keeping, could be anytime someone picks one up.

Im relativly new here, but i've to admit, with only three people you guys keep this forum in good shape.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Is the plan to move everything into sub-forums or just move the ones that deserves to be moved?

*Totally unrelated* We passed 10 pages on the Mods forum, that says something as well. I still think they should allow a thirdy-party person to create a repository and support that. Or even reuse good things: https://github.com/KerbalStuff/KerbalStuff That KerbalStuff if adapted to Factorio would totally ROCK IMO. And by copying that repo the amount of work needed would be GREATLY reduced.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Personnally, as a moderator, I check regularly times on the morning, several times at lunch, and through all the evening (during week) or all day long (during week ends), and read all the posts (some of them very quickly, just to get the main idea), and try to check if there are spams to ban the bots as fast as possible, delete spam, and then see if a post/topic should be moved. And this sometimes lets me the time to add my contribution on the content.

It is time consuming indeed, especially atm, because I have a tremendous load of work with my job, but i feel Factorio deserves the effort to keep its forum tidy :).

However, I can't wait to see the proper mod repository to be implemented and all the discussions on the mods, bug reports, ... be integrated to the repository as I feel it should be (most if not all mod repositories/portals I've seen and used work that way). It would allow to split moderation of the forum and moderation of the mod repository, and lighten the task of forum moderation.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Just want to add my signature to this thread. You guys are doing a great job, I don't know any other forum where the suggestions section is this well organized.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Koub wrote:However, I can't wait to see the proper mod repository to be implemented and all the discussions on the mods, bug reports, ... be integrated to the repository as I feel it should be (most if not all mod repositories/portals I've seen and used work that way). It would allow to split moderation of the forum and moderation of the mod repository, and lighten the task of forum moderation.
I don't know which repositories there is out there that has it and it's available to be used (except for Steam Workshop). Do you have some names? I may end up looking into one of them.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I have used Nexus mods, which is a huge (really) multi-game mod platform : http://www.nexusmods.com/games/? (used it mainly for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim).
For TESO, I've used ESOUI with ZAM's Minion mod manager : http://www.esoui.com/addons.php.

However, I've only used them as a mod user, not a mod maker, so my experience with them is incomplete.

Both have what I consider the standard features of a true mod repository platform (for each mod : endorsement, screenshot section, older version secction, Comments section, DL count for last week and total, sections for mods to keep things a little organized, a search engine to help people find the mod they need, ... and much more).
Both embark a mod manager that helps you keep an eye on all your mods, easily update one or all the mods, see the conflicts between mods and game version, ... but the mods they host dont *need* the mod manager, if you don't want to use it : you can still manage your mods in the old fashion way, by hand.

I'd love to see this kind of things for Factorio.

Return to “This Forum”