IP based forum lag

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Tri gena
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

IP based forum lag

Post by Tri gena »

I have a technical issue with the forum and the web site.
When I try to load it from my core IP, the main page of factorio.com loads very slowly. The forum and pictures from cdn.factorio.com don't load at all.
If I visit the site via VPN or Tor, everything is fine.

My core IP is 185.23.230.x. The problem began some time between middle of March (my last visit) and now.

Tri gena
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: IP based forum lag

Post by Tri gena »

Everything is fine now. Thanks.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I had the same thing happen, so for those also affected, here's how to fix it (on a PC with Chrome and compatible browsers, at least):
  • Go into Developer Tools on your browser. (F12 on Chrome.)
  • Click the Network tab.
  • Hit Control-R to refresh. A list of files ending in .js, .css, etc. will appear.
  • Right-click on one of the files and select Clear browser cache.
This should fix the problem.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I get occasional lag when accessing the site, too. PC & phone, firefox & chrome (respectively).

It doesn't occur often, but when it does, it continues to occur for upwards of a half hour. On rarer occasions, it will be bad enough the site won't even load.

I'll have to keep better track of when it occurs on the phone (ie, am I at home on my home wifi?), though honestly I'm not sure how much can even be done about it (depends on where the issue is, I suppose).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mrhanman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhanman »

I'm not sure if it's related, but all of the CDN content from today's FFF wasn't loading for me. I eventually tracked it down to a geoIP firewall rule I use to block traffic to and from China, HK, and other - in my opinion - notorious countries. It seems that Wube's CDN - CDN77 - has moved at least some of their hosting to Hong Kong. It's also possible that the geoIP sites I used to double check could be wrong, but I think that's unlikely. I'm not sure if Wube is aware or even cares, but it is a recent change as I was able to view last weeks FFF just fine.

vadcx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vadcx »

Do you have IPv6?
Try to clear DNS cache in Firefox at this URL: about:networking#dns or in Windows if not using Firefox using "ipconfig /flushdns" command.
The DNS replies show that the website uses CDN77 it's possible you get served from an overworked/old server or there's a different issue on the route. Flushing local DNS might help, especially if you don't use your router's DNS resolver which uses your ISP's DNS resolver... Long story short: make sure you get a new IP address for the domain. Using DNS-over-HTTPS in your browser is one way to ensure your ISP doesn't interfere here.

mrhanman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mrhanman »

I've been testing Adguard DNS for the last few weeks, and it appears that they have started resolving the traffic this way for some reason. Quad9, OpenDNS, and other public DNS services do not have this issue.

Return to “This Forum”